Baritone?

Xplorervoodoo

Hey guys, just looking for more opinions.

All of my future builds seem to have active pickups planned...  So I figured it might be a novelty to plan one that has passive pickups, specifically a baritone.

The plan so far is a mahogany or swamp ash body, dual humbucker design, primarily for high gain applications.  Although I do enjoy clean playing as well, the clean aspect of this build will likely not be used as often, but I like to keep my options open.

So what say you guys?  Any suggestions for a pair of passive humbuckers for a high gain baritone?

DocNrock

Howzabout a Norton bridge and a Humbucker from Hell for the neck?  I think that'd make a killer baritone double humbucker combo.

Xplorervoodoo

DocNrock said:
Howzabout a Norton bridge and a Humbucker from Hell for the neck?  I think that'd make a killer baritone double humbucker combo.

I'm actually surprised at that answer, but I read the descriptions on the DiMarzio site, and I can see why you recommended those.  Definitely a combination worth checking out...  I'd be mighty tempted to put the HFH in the bridge position though...  Just to shatter some eardrums.  :laughing7:

Patrick from Davis

Bare Knuckle Nailbombs.  Expensive, yes, but after hearing them in a seven string, I am sure that they would be great in a baritone.  I am trying to figure out a way to get some, then I'll have something else to build a project around.  Well, that is how they sound to me, good enough to plan a project around.
Patrick

Xplorervoodoo

That would be interesting as well...  I'm not sure how hard BKP's are to get in Canada, but I've found that DiMarzio's can be a bitch to get in the Great White North...  :dontknow:

DocNrock

Xplorervoodoo said:
DocNrock said:

I'm actually surprised at that answer, but I read the descriptions on the DiMarzio site, and I can see why you recommended those.  Definitely a combination worth checking out...  I'd be mighty tempted to put the HFH in the bridge position though...  Just to shatter some eardrums.   :laughing7:

:toothy12:  At least once you found out why they call it a Humbucker from Hell, you'd have it to put in the neck slot.

Seriously, I have the HfH in one of my guitars (Jackson PS4) in the neck slot and it is probably my favorite neck pickup.  Shimmering cleans and very cool grit.  I could just imagine it in a setup that is "tuned down" 2 1/2 steps.  Same goes for the Norton.  Great bridge pickup, but can be a bit bright.  Would be a lot fuller in a baritone setting, but is very full, albeit bright, in a standard setup.

sundin4prez

if your having trouble getting dimarzio's up here , you can call the 12th fret and they can order about anything you want ....the only thing is it will run you about 100-130 per humbucker :tard:

DocNrock

Can you order from the US, say from some of the ebay stores.  Ebay has become my one-stop shopping source for DiMarzios, especially the obscure ones (like the Tone Zone T).