Baritone conversion

I'd like to know this myself....  I would like to build a baritone in the future, and I'd like to know if anyone else made one, and if they have any pickup recommendations, tips or other insights.

I put a baritone neck on a MIM Strat body with SD JB jr, duckbucker, Lil'59 pickups.
The 13-72 string gauge takes a little getting used to, great finger exersice guitar and I love the low chords.

I've got a Warmoth baritone Strat. Other than the obvious, it's literally no different from assembling a standard guitar. Has Callaham hardware and Rio Grande Dual Calibrated pickups. Turned out very nice, it's on semi-permanent loan to a local Tejano studio run by a bud of mine.

Uh, I carved up an old Strat I owned in the 70's to install an Alembic Stratoblaster. That was my first (and last) experience with onboard anything. I like my rig dead-nuts simple.

I guess I'm thinking more like a bass active eq. with moderate output pups so as not to overdrive the eq circut.

DocNrock said:
I guess I'm thinking more like a bass active eq. with moderate output pups so as not to overdrive the eq circut.

Huh, never thought of that.  There are "regular" guitars with active preamps, so I'd imagine it'd work out ok; I suppose I wouldn't consider active eq personally unless it were a Bass VI setup...

Rickgrxbass said:
Huh, never thought of that.  There are "regular" guitars with active preamps, so I'd imagine it'd work out ok; I suppose I wouldn't consider active eq personally unless it were a Bass VI setup...

Any particular preamp you'd use for a Bass VI?  I'm putting one together at the moment, and am interested in peeps thoughts on these. I know they can get a bit mushy on the bass side.

PitchShifter said:
Any particular preamp you'd use for a Bass VI?  I'm putting one together at the moment, and am interested in peeps thoughts on these. I know they can get a bit mushy on the bass side.

I haven't been let down by my Aguilar OBP3, and I'm getting ready to try a Bart 3-band in my current project.  For the Bass VI, though, I wonder if you'd really need/want the mid control, and I know both Aguilar and Bartolini make 2-band EQs that look pretty solid.  Are you going Jaguar style with the controls? if real estate is an issue, John East has a preamp that only takes up one knob space, the BTB-01, and it has bass and treble EQ with a bright push/pull switch.  Looks interesting...

Cheers, I look into them.  It's a Jazzmaster that I want modified to have the Jag switches at the bottom of the pickguard.

Back