Bad lacquer

wildbill

I was always of the opinion that nitrocellulose lacquer would not go "bad" in the can. I opened a new gallon of Mohawk regular clear lacquer ( not precat ) this morning and found it full of cloudy material, clots if you will, which refused to go back into suspension when stirred. I strained about a pint to do the job at hand and out of that amount had a gob of goop about the size of a golf ball. I bought this about a month ago from a very reputable hardwood lumber company I deal with. They turn a lot of product so I assume this was not old.

I am wondering if this is some new miracle concoction because we are in California but I had just finished up another gallon from same source and the can looks the same, it had no issues. Any ideas?  I am taking it back of course. What I used appears to have dried normally but straining it is a huge pain and I don't trust it.

I have lacquer that is 20 years old that I could use; yours is probably a bad batch. They should replace it from the place of purchase.

Tonar8353 said:
I have lacquer that is 20 years old that I could use; yours is probably a bad batch. They should replace it from the place of purchase.

That was my thinking, I have used some that was pretty old with no issues. Maybe someone at the plant dropped their ex-wife in that vat.  Thx Tonar just wanted a 2nd opinion.

wildbill92879 said:
Tonar8353 said:

That was my thinking, I have used some that was pretty old with no issues. Maybe someone at the plant dropped their ex-wife in that vat.  Thx Tonar just wanted a 2nd opinion.

This would make a very cool "DNA" guitar, much more extreme and limited than the Steve Vai Jem DNA run...

Bio-hazard Guitar Works.    I  was always leery of just what DNA Ibanez used anyway......

Update:  Took the defective gallon of guitar juice back and was cheerfully given another in it's place. :icon_thumright: We'll see how it looks this weekend. High marks for Austin Hardwood and Hardware in Santa Ana, CA. Good people to do business with and if you have a contractor license you get 10% off. Great selection of drewl woods, I have been dealing with them for many years.

Update to the update:  New gallon is just fine, no issues. :)

Back