Back with another Z5 bass build.

SUBass

I liked my first Z very much.  Every time I play it I get a good smile and have decided to make another one.

This time it's going to be a David Ellefson inspired Z.  Silver body, matching headstock, black hardware, Hipshot bridge and ultralight tuners, EMG pickups and electronics.

The body and neck are ordered and should be here this week.  Swamp ash body, maple neck, ebony board.

Of course....It doesn't exist until there are pics...So I'll be sure to put them up when it gets here.

I'm lamin' out on the finish though and having the great guys at RS Guitarworks handle that job.  Between a home remodeling project, a studio build, work, gigs, I just don't really have the time or clean space to do the finish.

Check in with you guys later!

James

Well....

I didn't spend much time taking pictures of it or anything.  As mentioned...I had the finish performed by the guys at RS Guitarworks.  That's what they do and they did a better job than I could have.  So really...After the finish...What is there to do?  Just bolt the thing together!

So a rundown on the two...

Z5-1 is an Alder body, maple neck, ebony board, 6105SS wire,  with Bartolini pickups, Taekuchi bridge and Gotoh GB7 tuners.

Z5-2 is an Ash body, maple neck, ebony board, 6230SS wire, with EMG pickups and BQC preamp, Hipshot brass bridge and Ultralite tuners.

My thoughts?

The two are slightly different in shape, neck and body.  Slightly.  I like the feel of the Z5-2 neck better.  Also the 6230 wire is great!!  I was concerned when it first came in that the wire was too small.  I had the Z5-1 PLEK'd and that knocked the frets down a bit and made the bass much more enjoyable to play.  The 6105 wire I did not like.  Too big...The 6230 feels fine.  I'm concerned about having it PLEK'd though because of fear of removing too much fret material.

I originally picked up a 40DC and 40J pickup off of ebay pretty cheap.  The 40DC is a monster!  Really huge lows and crispy highs....But it's REALLY not my thing at all.  The 40J was so-so.  I picked up a couple of 40P5's and tried a 40P5/DC combination, 40P5/J combination...And ultimately ended up with a 40P5/P5 combination.

The tone is great!  Big, long sustain...Punch...Meat....Grind...It's pretty badass.  I think this is quite possibly the best bass I've ever owned.  I could just be buzzing from practice...But it's pretty serious.  I struggled with the Z5-1 tonally and I blame that mostly on the pickups.  The Z5-2 is just clearer and rounder than the Z5-1.

I initially got the Z5-1 as an experiment to see if I liked the instrument.  I got serious on Z5-2.  Probably the best thing I can say:

Several times in practice today I screwed up because I was thinking, "Man!  Listen to that thing!!"  followed by "Oh SHIT!!  Pay attention!!"  One tune in particular...When I hit the first note I immediately burst into a big smile.  It just sounded right.

I'll get some pics snapped and uploaded.

Can't wait to see it! I have been trying unsuccessfully to breed my Z. Lets just say Wood+Wood does not = more wood. Wood + Wood = Splinters.

Ha ha!

I remember reading the thread on your Z guitar. At first I thought, "A Z guitar....That's gonna be silly."  You really did a great job on it and I thought it turned out great.

Unfortunately I think the only thing that breeds more Z's is plastic.  :icon_biggrin:

SUBass said:
Ha ha!

I remember reading the thread on your Z guitar. At first I thought, "A Z guitar....That's gonna be silly."  You really did a great job on it and I thought it turned out great.

Unfortunately I think the only thing that breeds more Z's is plastic.   :icon_biggrin:

Haha yea it came out awesome. I absolutely love it. Really can't wait to build another but just found out today I have 2 suspensions on my license and I can't find out why till tomorrow! Goodbye savings!

Back