Back Bow Problem

paramourcheng

Hi all I recently purchased a warmoth roasted flame maple neck , modern pro construction. I absolutely love how it feels and looks.

So I installed tuners and when I wanted to install it onto the body. I realised there was a backbow, i followed the instructions given very carefully. No matter how I adjusted , there was a back bow.

I tried to string it up , thinking maybe it was a brand new neck that's why it was bowing. Strung it up , and I was unplayable.

Kinda frustrated after waiting for a month or so and now I'm lost at what to do. Anyone has any input on this? Will be greatly appreciated !!

Attachments

• 20200824_234557.jpg
    20200824_234557.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 213
I would suggest you call or e-mail Warmoth and explain the problem. From what I've seen, they're very good about standing behind their products and trying to keep their customers happy.  :icon_thumright:

Just to be clear, the truss rod is functioning correctly right? I had a modern construction neck where it wasn't and I had to reset the mechanism following the instructions on Warmoth's site. Once that was fixed, the truss rod worked perfectly. Probably not the case here, but thought I'd ask.

As others have said, the best thing to do is call Warmoth and email them the picture. They are great folks and offer great service. Let us know how the conversation goes.

Cactus Jack said:
Just to be clear, the truss rod is functioning correctly right? I had a modern construction neck where it wasn't and I had to reset the mechanism following the instructions on Warmoth's site. Once that was fixed, the truss rod worked perfectly. Probably not the case here, but thought I'd ask.

As others have said, the best thing to do is call Warmoth and email them the picture. They are great folks and offer great service. Let us know how the conversation goes.

I tried the whole procedure several times and just couldn't get anything to work.

Got a reply from them today ! They told me they have never seen anyone photograph a backbow so perfectly ! Haha oh boy do they have a sense of humour.

They told me to choose something similar in value and they will send it to me. I knew warmoth had good customer service, but this is just something else ! Totally impressed !

paramourcheng said:
They told me they have never seen anyone photograph a backbow so perfectly ! Haha oh boy do they have a sense of humour.

In all honesty, that is the best photograph of a back-bowed neck I have ever seen. Usually such things are expressed via illustration so the effect can be exaggerated enough to be apparent.

You managed to capture it perfectly. It should be in text books.

I had exactly the same:-

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=32190.0

Send it back and let them fix it or replace it if you don't have the right gear to do it yourself.

I suspect this may be a more common problem than most people realise. The backbow in mine was just about right for regular gauge strings if you want to end up with a very slight relief when strung up, as you generally do. So most people that just buy a neck, install and string up will be happy and not realise that they have a problem until they want to get any fretwork done or if they have very light gauge strings and need to reduce neck relief.

Back