B and G strings bend out of tune easily - what should I do?

hannaugh

Master Member
The B and G strings on my Strat go out of tune pretty quickly when I bend them - way more than any of my other strings.  It's not a huge problem, but it still annoys me.  Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix this?  I have Gotoh tuners, but they're not locking or anything. 

Common reasons for inconsistent tuning:

• A tuner that doesn't hold position due to slack/backlash/poor winding
  • A vibrato bridge that doesn't return to neutral reliably
  • A nut that hangs up a string
  • A bridge saddle that hangs up a string
  • Worn/old/abused strings

That's listed in order of frequency I find those problems, with the first being far and away the most frequent.

Why people resist installing locking tuners these days is a mystery for the ages. They're the greatest thing to happen to guitars since pickups.

Locking tuners won't help if the nut is not properly cut or lubricated.

Actually, based on guitars I'v owned and played, I would have put "A nut that hangs up a string" higher in the list, but I guess you've seen and setup far more guitars than I have. Still, since lubricating the nut is easy to do (I'd avoid vaseline or silicone and use pencil lead instead) that's the first thing I would try to see if that makes a difference. With new strings ofc.

When i read the title the smart aleck said "go to a heavier string guage". Oh you mean go out of tune _after_ you bend. But dittos. Locking tuners are awesome, locking tuners are great! They should be standard equpment on all guitars.. but it wont help you if the nut is dragging.

Thanks guys!  I don't have locking tuners on this one because they were purchased for me as a gift and the person who bought them didn't want to spend $65 to get locking ones.  I have been thinking about upgrading for a while though.  They're Gotohs though, so they aren't total PsOS, and I don't have the problem with any of my other strings on that guitar. 

Next time I change my strings I'll go through the list of things that could be causing the problem and address anything I find, and if I still have the problem, I'll grab some locking tuners.  Maybe that's what my husband can get me for our anniversary. 

All great suggestions. I will add or ask one that hasn't come up yet. Do you pre stretch your strings? It's a must for consitant bending.

I would start on the above list by going for the low hanging fruit first. Try putting some pencil lead shavings on the nut.

hannaugh said:
Thanks guys!  I don't have locking tuners on this one because they were purchased for me as a gift and the person who bought them didn't want to spend $65 to get locking ones.  I have been thinking about upgrading for a while though.  They're Gotohs though, so they aren't total PsOS, and I don't have the problem with any of my other strings on that guitar. 

Next time I change my strings I'll go through the list of things that could be causing the problem and address anything I find, and if I still have the problem, I'll grab some locking tuners.  Maybe that's what my husband can get me for our anniversary. 

Depending on which style Gotoh it is, they have locking replacements that don't require you to drill new holes. If you used they Kluson style, there's these...

Gotoh_Locking_Vintage_Oval_Knob_Tuners_sm.jpg

If you used something a little more modern, there's these...

thumbnail.asp

If you can somehow find a way to compare the mounts, you might be happier with some Grover or Schaller lockers. They look like they mount the same way as the above sealed units, but they don't require any kind of tool to lock/unlock them.

Probably its a lost cause.  If you buy a new one to replace this irrevocably damaged guitar, I'll be happy to take it off your hands and add it to my Island of Misfit Instruments.  Let me know.

And.....flat I bet.

Flat.  I'll tune up, play a song with lots of bending, then the B and G are often several cents flat.  Sometimes it's just the B though. 

TroubledTreble said:
All great suggestions. I will add or ask one that hasn't come up yet. Do you pre stretch your strings? It's a must for consitant bending.

I would start on the above list by going for the low hanging fruit first. Try putting some pencil lead shavings on the nut.

Pre-stretch strings?  Huh?  I know nothing of this practice. 

Pre-stretching just means you yank a bit on the string several times while bringing it up to tune to get the slack out of the tuning peg and the stress out of the string. This video shows more or less how it's done. Most guys are a bit more aggressive about it than Mr. Carruthers, but you'll get the idea.

90% it's the nut. Does it go "ping"? Nut. The thing is, strings need to sit loosely in the slot and be held down by tension from behind the nut (neck angle or string trees), and be free to move freely (look at any non-fender stringed instrument of any type!). OR, they need to be locked down IN the nut a la Floyd. A middle ground, where they are inconsistently gripped by the sides of the nut and not under downward tension via an angled neck or string tree, is the worst situation.

The tuners are only a problem if they are actually broken, those Gotoh SG38s are totally fine.

I don't think anyone is saying locking tuners will save you from a nut case, but they're incredibly convenient, 2) eliminate the 2nd most significant source of tuning issues, namely the fact that only one in 20 guitarists do their string wraps correctly, and 3) vastly speed up the stretch in time (see number 2, but even correctly done wraps still have more stretching than a properly wound locking tuner.

I've got locking tuners on my LP.  I really like them.  But I just have yet to upgrade the ones on the Strat yet.  I haven't noticed that anything sounds ping-y on my Strat, but I will definitely check the nut first. 

A snagging nut or saddle would make them go sharp after bending, so it's not that.

If it only happens on new strings then it's the pre-stretching thing. If it happens all the time then it might be the tuners.

My $0.02.
The B and G strings are not wound and are probably the strings you bend the most.  Do you bend your E string that much?
If not it could be how you are winding your strings.  Are you putting on enough winds, are the winds tight enough, are they sitting properly.  It could be slipping at the tuners.
It could also be the nut.  I have had (using locking tuners) a string go flat from bending.  It was on a guitar that had an issue with the G string.  What would happen is if I tuned to sharp or the guitar had gone sharp.  I would tune back down but the nut would grab part of the way back.  It made the tension past the nut lower than after the nut.  When I bent the string, it slipped at the nut and voila, the string went flat.  That is a very specialized case though.  Usually I find my guitars going flat over time not sharp.  Depends on humidity changes though.

The way I install and wind my strings is straight out of Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide.  I haven't changed the strings in some time on the purple guy.  I do find that my strings don't wear down easily on this particular guitar.  I've got stainless steel frets, coated strings, and my hands are not very acidic at all.  Plus I haven't played as much the last year since I moved.  I've been playing more lately on the Strat, but I cannot remember if the problem was present on the last set of strings I had.   

I'll take a look at the Strat today and report back my findings (if any) regarding the nut and such. 

Back