Autograph on the headstock.

There's about zero chance I'd risk using a sharpie or marker, with my handwriting.

Has anyone tried such a decal on a raw neck?  :icon_scratch:
I love the signature look, but tend to have craving for raw wood when ever possible.
Seems like you would need to at least finish the small part over the decal.
Thoughts? :dontknow:

jay4321 said:
There's about zero chance I'd risk using a sharpie or marker, with my handwriting.

exact same here. i'm happy with maybe 1 out of every 10 or 15 times i sign my name. and there's no way it would come out looking good on a tilted headstock

Has anyone tried such a decal on a raw neck?  
I love the signature look, but tend to have craving for raw wood when ever possible.
Seems like you would need to at least finish the small part over the decal.
Thoughts?  

I have a couple of thoughts.  

If you have a really high quality label like the old Fender labels that were made to lie on top of the finish you should be able to lay it over the raw wood.

If you have a label that needs finish to go over it, only finish the headstock.  Notice the P-Bass neck that I just pulled off the spray stick yesterday.  You see the line between the finish and raw wood because it has not been rubbed out and had my oil finish put on the raw wood.  You can finish the headstock this way and apply your sticker during the finishing process.  I use ¼ inch tape to establish the line and then cover the rest of what I don’t want finish to get on with masking paper and tape. (Look through my posts and you can find a thread on how I oil finish necks.) Notice the finished Strat neck next to jay4321’s un-finished neck. Mine has a lacquered headstock and an oiled back; it is hard to see the line between the lacquer finish and the oil finish.  The finish line will become more dramatic as the lacquer ages but then it just starts looking like a real nice relic neck.

I hope that helps.

IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

Hey, Thanks Tonar,  :headbang:

Sounds simple enough!  I will give it a try...

I'm toying with several ideas for a custom logo.  I've never made one and it's all new to me, but since my guitar is all natural wood I'm wondering about Wood Burning my logo in the headstock.  Has anyone seen that done or tried?  Curious how it would turn out, but there's not exactly scrap Goncalo laying around to try it out on, lol.

there are some goncalo boards on ebay for 5 or 6 bucks. i'd say order a board or two and test that out. could be VERY cool!

I think when I wear my tele down enough I'm going to burn my initials into it with a cattle prod

I have seen a company that makes custom miniture branding irons that you can use to burn a logo or signiture on your steaks. 
I would think it would work on wood also.  Don't have a clue who it was that made them but a web search should locate them. :rock-on:

bbl4ck said:
I have seen a company that makes custom miniture branding irons that you can use to burn a logo or signiture on your steaks. 
I would think it would work on wood also.  Don't have a clue who it was that made them but a web search should locate them. :rock-on:

WOODCRAFT!
I have been considering this for a couple of months now.. just need to think of a catchy name for my creations :)

WOODCRAFT!
I have been considering this for a couple of months now.. just need to think of a catchy name for my creations :)
[/quote]

Yea, that looks pretty cool  :toothy10:
Priced at $29 to $39 is not that bad of pirce for something so unique!

Markoooooo said:
bbl4ck said:

WOODCRAFT!
How about......."Mark-o-casters"...... :icon_biggrin:  Or "Dutch Masters"....... :icon_biggrin:

hahahaha! I kinda like dutch masters!! hadn't thought of that yet, but I did consider names involving dykes, tulips, red lights, wooden shoes,  flying dutchmen etc...

Markoooooo said:
hahahaha! I kinda like dutch masters!! hadn't thought of that yet, but I did consider names involving dykes, tulips, red lights, wooden shoes,  flying dutchmen etc...
Hmmmmm, dykes, tulip's, red lights....I'm getting kinda of a xxx vibe outta that..... :icon_biggrin:

Back