Arrived today: Mahogany/Koa Soloist (Pics)

Simon D

Well, my parts arrived this morning, and I'm pretty happy! I orignally wanted a flame koa top for this build, so when I found out Warmoth can't offer them currently due to a lack of wood, I nearly went for a natural flame maple top. In the end, I stuck with the koa, but I was expecting it to look fairly plain. WRONG! Imagine how pleased I was when I open the box to find this:

WarmothSoloistbodyfrontandback.jpg

Warmothnecks.jpg

WarmothSoloistSLD.jpg

Spec
Body: Soloist carved top, mahogany/koa, contoured heel
Neck: Warmoth Pro, birdseye maple/ebony, compound radius, standard thin contour, SS frets
Hardware: Wilkinson trem, 2 x Bareknuckle Warpig pickups, Sperzel locking tuners, 1 vol, 1 tone, 3 way switch

Should be finished in a week to 10 days, so I'll post pics when it's done. This is my first Warmoth project, and I'm really pleased with the quality, especially the finishing. I had to wait about two weeks longer than quoted for this order, but I really don't mind at all when it's this nice!
Cheers, Si  :party07:

Wonderful birdseye in that neck... I really want a birdseye neck, but I'll wait till I can use an all maple neck for that.

You're lukcy to put it together in such short time; my build will take me longer because I have a lot of work to do (routing, a lot of electronics, etc). I'm so anxious!

WOW!!! that thing looks powerful.........that sucker should have tone to die for...........isn't it amazing when ya first open that box???
Warmoth Kicks Ass!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_thumright:

that will be a great guitar! I love the soloist carved top.. I don't understand why you don't see them more often.
and I agree, the plain Koa is so much nicer than flame maple!
oh and love the lamp shade shaped figuring in the wood ;)

m4rk0 said:
that will be a great guitar! I love the soloist carved top.. I don't understand why you don't see them more often.
and I agree, the plain Koa is so much nicer than flame maple!
oh and love the lamp shade shaped figuring in the wood ;)

I don't get why more people don't do a carved top Soloists either. Even in the gallery on the Warmoth site, most of them seem to be the flat top version.
I'm slightly regretting not having the headstock front veneered with koa too, but I guess there's always the chance that the grain might be vastly different.

The lamp shade is a unique feature, I'm very pleased with it!  :doh:

m4rk0 said:
... I love the soloist carved top.. I don't understand why you don't see them more often...
Because the curved top is more expensive!
Anyway, that's a nice guitar with a natural finish. I like the Warmoth headstock as well.

Very nice !!
this really makes me want to start my second project and it could really look like yours !
the feeling of opening the case is almost like a drug I can't wait...

Please try to record I'd like to hear those picks

Enjoy your building, when its finished you will long for it ;-)

i`ll try even though it`s an old tread.

i`m planning to buy a warmoth body similar to this, actually the same, koa on mahogany.
how did you get that finish?
the koa top is quite dark and shiny.
i`d really like to know the technique and product that have beed used.

thanks in advance

mdp

Hmmm...pics are showing up as red "X"s.  Judging from the comments, it must be hot.  Congrats.

DocNrock said:
Hmmm...pics are showing up as red "X"s.  Judging from the comments, it must be hot.  Congrats.
I can see it just fine, rub your eyes a little Doc. I can see clearly now the rain has gone.... :toothy12:

Man that is one seriously sweet as soloist.....Absolutly stunning.... :icon_thumright:

Just retried, now they came through.  Absolutely stunning body, and love the birdseyes in the neck.

to make the koa so dark,
like this soloist,
do i have to use some tint before the clear gloss, some dark grain filler, or some oil (tung, true, danish)?
i`m confused, i want exactly the same effect.

Back