Are contours other than standard thin worth it for tone?

I was just playing my LP (it has a standard thin) and I paid attention to my hand as I played. I always had plenty of room between the neck and the palm of my hand - no matter what I was playing - -and I play with thumb over and thumb behind. I think that I'd probably be happy with a fatter neck. I definitely think I'll get a boat type neck time. I think my hands are pretty average size.

PRS SE and 59 are very similar, both in published dimensions and how they play. What more can I say.

tfarny said:
PRS SE and 59 are very similar, both in published dimensions and how they play. What more can I say.

Thanks. And yes I saw your previous post where you said you were sure about the dimensions, but I'm just trying to be as sure as I can, I am still afraid of getting a 500 dollars neck that won't fit me. I don't think my hands will be that picky, but I have about four choices for contours right now and its tough.

My Moderne has a baseball bat thickness and I don't know what I got, Ken asked if I wanted a quilted neck, which he must have felt was right for the project, but there was a concern about the possibility of the quilt warping,per Ken , so we went ahead and did it in quilt with the biggest contour to resolve that issue. It's a monster, but I love it, and you instantly can tell the difference, and I do have big hands.
I would'nt recommend a fat neck for anyone with small hands, I can tell you that !  :icon_thumright:

and tone? can't tell in the least.

Allright, so a couple issues.

I finally tried the PRS SE today, and i measured it with tape, and it is NOT near .97 inches near the 12th fret. Maybe I am measuring wrong, but it quite a bit less, more around .8. So I am reluctant to buy the 59 roundback if it is even thicker than the PRS SE!

Are fender american standards the same thickness as the standard thin, or is the standard thin thinner? I wouldn't want the standard thin to be any thinner than a fender neck.

Warmoth needs to put more pictures of the contours, its ridiculous. There needs to be two pictures for each contour, one near say the 1st fret, and one near the 12th fret. They simply say .97 at the 12th fret, but the picture doesn't show you that thickness or radius. The pictures are deceving and make it that much harder for me to decide what to buy even though I have tried some necks out. 

I have a standard thin LP neck and it feels exactly the same as the Fender strat neck I have.

The Standard Thin neck I have is as close as it gets to the Strat neck it replaced.  Except it is Ebony and just over the top goofy fun in my eyes.  I understand the comments about concern with the neck profile, but I am willing to bet, as long as it is close to a design you like you will fall in love with it in no time.  Yes I also understand that it is a large amount of money to place a bet with, I had that feeling when I bought the ebony neck.  But, I knew what style I wanted and read up on what Warmoth's profiles resembled.  I am convinced that for most everything I do, the standard thin is the profile I want.  It is the same as the guitar I learned most everything I learned.  I have a Thinline Tele that I got in 94 and it has a V'd neck on it, and I am not that big of a fan.  I have played a bass with an asym neck and was very impressed by it, so I might look into the Wolfgang, but chances are I'll just get what I know I play well on.  So basically if you like the Strat neck - Standard thin, Ibanez - Wizard, Gibson - 59, V'd - Clapton, and so on.  I don't mean to sound rude, but figure out what guitar you have the most fun playing and get the closest thing to it.  I have also found that the raw wood necks have forever perverted me into a guitar neck snob, and I ain't looking back.
Patrick

Okay so dig this. I you go play an SG, then go play a V neck (Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex strat and such) the boatneck, to me, feels like a combo of both with the fatness of a gibson neck and the slight "point" or the bottom of the V in the V neck. I found it comfortable when I played a for sale Warmoth strat at a local music store, it's actually the guitar that got me thinking and inevitably order my parts

And make note I'm used to a '94 MIJ Jaguar neck which is thinner than your average strat neck and I found boatneck VERY comfortable. Also my fretting hand is 7-8 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger.

I hope that helps

I juste received my goncalo/pao fero boat neck... I was affraid that it might be to fat, but I feel like it could be bigger without any problem
My hand is also about 8inch tall (bottom palm to finger tips).. to me it doesn't feel that big...
I can't wait to put string on it an play it for real!

I have a 59 roundback on my Warmoth LP and I really can't tell a difference between it and my Gibson LP.  I have a standard thin on my Warmoth Tele and I have no problems switching back and forth between the two.  It takes me a few minutes to get used to the different scale lenght between the two but the neck contour is not an issue.

Back