Aqua Marine Regal

docteurseb

This is a build from last summer (first and last Regal build), at the time the goal was to replace my LP with this one.
It started when Warmoth had a sale on their Regal necks, a week before they discontinued and replaced them with Hombre necks.
At least I saved a bit on the neck, while having a great time reshaping the headstock to something a little more traditional.
I wanted a dark/black headstock with diamond-shaped inlay at the center. I ended up using a thin shell/veneer and black lacquer, this was not exactly the original plan but attempts to apply a full veneer were a bit of a disaster.

The chambered body was an unfinished quilt maple/korina from the showcase, and I had it finished in aqua marine dye + transparent blue. It came out just as beautiful as it was expensive.

In the end I still preferred the LP and parted with the Regal, the LP just had the edge in terms of comfort, playability, and tone.
Nonetheless here are some pictures of that guitar for everybody's enjoyment as those aqua marine dye finishes are quite stunning!

Attachments

• DSCF4252.jpg
    DSCF4252.jpg
    827.3 KB · Views: 1,456
  • DSCF4242.jpg
    DSCF4242.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,460
  • DSCF4244.jpg
    DSCF4244.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 694
  • DSCF4006.jpg
    DSCF4006.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 700
  • DSCF4262.jpg
    DSCF4262.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 843
  • DSCF4255.jpg
    DSCF4255.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 730
Boy that is pretty. From what I can see of the headstock inlay it looks like it turned out nicely, any shots of the full headstock perchance?

Verne Bunsen said:
Boy that is pretty. From what I can see of the headstock inlay it looks like it turned out nicely, any shots of the full headstock perchance?

Sure, I just added a close up of the inlay.

Lovely guitar! Could you say how the LP edged this one out a little more specifically?

And:

It came out just as beautiful as it was expensive.

should be in the books as truism #1 when it comes to building your own.

:icon_jokercolor:

Glimmer said:
Lovely guitar! Could you say how the LP edged this one out a little more specifically?

And:

It came out just as beautiful as it was expensive.

should be in the books as truism #1 when it comes to building your own.

:icon_jokercolor:

The LP was more playable and as a result more enjoyable. This was the main disappointment, I was not anticipating a 10-16"/ebony/stainless frets neck to be less fun to play than the LP. The neck profile probably had a lot do to do with it and those were quite different (standard thin for the Regal, slim 60s for the LP).
The LP was also more balanced weight-wise.

Back