Anyone using a vocal harmonizer?

simple

Staff member
Thinking about picking up a Digitech Vocalist Live Pro for small jobs playing out on weekends. I don't have much experience with these types of units though. Have a favorite one that works for you?

The only one that I've used is one of those expensive Antares auto-tune vocal "fix-it" gizmos that puts your voice on pitch.
We used it on our last album, but only as an effect.  We didn't use it to make us sound in tune... Honest!!!

Sorry I can't help here, But I'd like to know what these devices do, what's the purpose? Never heard of them or it or whatever.

My wife uses one of these for our live gigs. I dont think it does harmony but i'm not sure. They do have others though.  http://www.tc-helicon.com/voicetonecreate.asp

Maybe you'd need something like this? http://www.tc-helicon.com/VoiceToneHarmonyG.asp

Not entirely sure why they have a different one for guitar players and key players.

Looks like they have rackmounts too.

Volitions Advocate said:
Not entirely sure why they have a different one for guitar players and key players.

Some units have the ability to listen to a guitar chord you are playing or a keyboard midi message and adjust the harmonies to match the scale you are currently playing in, i.e. major or minor, etc.  It's really pretty amazing technology.

I know a solo acoustic guy who uses one to FANTASTIC results. It's really unbelievable what that thing does. I don't know of the unit's viability in a full band setting, but the way he uses it...incredible.

gnome said:
Max said:
I can't stand auto-tune. Way overused last year. EGH!

:O whats wrong with auto-tune?

It does sound over-processed if you have a heavy hand.  We got to play with it fairly extensively and you can get your voice to be very robotic - completely devoid of character - if you mess around. 

We only used it in one section of one song just to get that robotic kinda voice.  Listening to it now it just sounds cheezy - wish we didn't listen to the producer that day  :tard:

it can be kinda cool when you over do it but not too often, still it's nice to use t just to even out the odd missed note

I'm sure there are some cool effects to be had, and I'm not completely opposed to anything new and digital, but the whole pitch correction thing smacks of cheating to me.  I guess that is one of the reason there are so many no-talent hacks on the radio these days.  You can assemble a song note by note on your computer and then warble some junk into the mike and have these little devices make it sound like angels singing down from on high. 

guitlouie said:
I'm sure there are some cool effects to be had, and I'm not completely opposed to anything new and digital, but the whole pitch correction thing smacks of cheating to me.  I guess that is one of the reason there are so many no-talent hacks on the radio these days.  You can assemble a song note by note on your computer and then warble some junk into the mike and have these little devices make it sound like angels singing down from on high. 
That's always been going on. Now you can do it without being signed by a major label is all.  :laughing7:  And just wait another 10 years; I'm sure technology will bring us much more magical, effortless audio euphoria.

guitlouie said:

true but the talentless pop acts of today arent really that much less talented than the talentless pop acts of yore, it's just that they need less takes...

plus most of your favourite bands will have used it (unless you don't listen to anything post 70's)

a very close mate of mine is an acoustic guitarist. he gigs 7 days a week, and hates performing without it now. just adds that little bit "extra" i think.

it's definitely worth a look, at the very least.

Back