anyone use custom made earplugs?

hachikid

I recently looked into getting some made after hearing from Jesse F. Keeler in an interview that he used custom earplugs that have a flat frequency response. here's a pic:

earplugs.jpg

they just came in today, and I have to say, if you don't know about them, GET SOME! look around town for an audiologist, and they can give you a hearing test, and get some custom ear molds made. I used a Beltone office, and it was pretty great. a little expensive...$75 per ear, but not bad considering you can't buy more hearing if you run out. but about the earplugs! I used to not use them until I played a gig in which my ears were ringing for about 3 days after, then I started (reluctantly) wearing them anytime I turned my amp up (band practice, shows), and just dealt with the high frequency roll off that starts at around 2k...hated it, but I couldn't risk being deaf in 20 years. fast forward to today when they came in: I practiced with my drummer, and with them in, it was literally like I had just turned the volume down on life. there was no frequency cut or muffling that normally comes with foam earplugs. just a solid 15dB reduction in volume. I could stand ear to my cab with my bass feeding back with the amp on 6 (100w all tube Carvin X100B), and not bat an eye. playing and going to shows are going to be SO much better!!! also, the best part is that the filters are interchangeable. you can use 9, 15, or 25dB filters that reduce the sound by just that much. here's some videos that have a little more info and lets you get an idea of how they look up close, and such. if you don't have some, GET SOME!!!! I can't stress this enough!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEUPlIpkE7o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUk0OUAvbrA

I use custom earplugs, of sorts. They are called Phonak Audeo Smart S hearing aids and they cost me Aus$11490 for the pair  :eek: !!!!!!

THAT is what happens, and what you need to hear normally - or as close as you can get to 'normal'- when you DON'T use hearing protection when playing loud music.

My suggestion - and that of my audiologist - is to go to a hearing clinic and firstly get your hearing tested. Get a graph and have a reference point on the state of your hearing at present.

Then get some molded hearing protection plugs, one that the audiologist will have custom made for your individual ear canals. They will fit snugly and in time, you will barely notice them in. Before these Phonaks I wore Oticon Syncro In the Ear hearing aids which fitted into the ear, and believe me, there were times I clearly forgot they were in and nearly jumped into a shower or washed my face.

The ones reviewed above look great, and judging by the comments, the sound effect is good too.

Even if the plugs cost you a couple of hundred dollars to have custom made, they are far more cost effective than the thousands you might have to spend every 5 years or so, replacing ageing digital hearing aids. Just to hear to a respectable level...... :sad:

DANG! that's exactly what I'm trying to prevent. you are too right with how comfortable they are, though. I did get my hearing tested, and they said it was (luckily) all good. so, I'm getting on this before any significant damage was done.

Yup.  Got a custom pair.  Wear them all the time, even at work.

It cost a couple hundred when all is said and done, but is one of the best investments I've ever made.

Right on - I have a custom molded pair, and the cost is absolutely trivial seeing as your hearing is your vitality (Beethoven notwithstanding).  The swappable filters are great, too.

I have been using pair of Hearsafe's Elacin ER 15 (custom moulded) for 14 years now. They are about 170€ here in Europe, available also with 3 different filters (9, 15, 25dB). I found the 15dB filter was working best for me (mostly for band rehersal, live gigs, etc).
Hearing protection is crucial, as tinnitus is irreversible.

Or as Wyliee put it:
Wyliee said:
It cost a couple hundred when all is said and done, but is one of the best investments I've ever made.

Nothing more to add!

I have a question about "musicians earplugs"....

Do they still provide that "finger in the ear" effect?

Why do I ask? Well I also sing in my band, and often rely on that effect to aid in my ability to hear myself (especially when monitor mixes are not up to snuff). I'd love to be able to hear a less muffled sound, but don't want to give up the "finger in the ear".

For the record, I've worn ear plugs for as long as I've been playing and/or going to shows. As much as I'd like to believe that I'm saving my hearing, the truth is that heredity, age and medications tend to factor in more heavily than anyone wants to admit.  :(

that's called the occlusion effect. and yes, they do. it's not as severe as the regular foam earplugs, but they do.

Then I'm sold. We have an audiologist in town that fits them. I guess I need to set up an appointment, finally. Thanks, Gregg

I've got a pair, they're the only ones I use.   I actually got them from Northeastern University in Boston when I was in college at Berklee.    I believe it was part of a class for students learning to do hearing tests and such.  You were their guinea pig(with teacher supervision) but you got the plugs at cost.  Pretty sweet, I think I only paid like $80 or something.  They work perfectly.

GMGM said:
I have a question about "musicians earplugs"....

Do they still provide that "finger in the ear" effect?

Why do I ask? Well I also sing in my band, and often rely on that effect to aid in my ability to hear myself (especially when monitor mixes are not up to snuff). I'd love to be able to hear a less muffled sound, but don't want to give up the "finger in the ear".

For the record, I've worn ear plugs for as long as I've been playing and/or going to shows. As much as I'd like to believe that I'm saving my hearing, the truth is that heredity, age and medications tend to factor in more heavily than anyone wants to admit.  :(

I'm an ear doctor/surgeon. While those those things do have a role in hearing loss (age mainly), noise exposure if FAR more common. You ARE doing yourself a favor. I approve of this thread. :)

partialdoctor said:
I'm an ear doctor/surgeon.

Well, there goes the neighborhood...

Seriously, I'm often very pleasantly surprised by the breadth and depth of the community here. And thanks for the informed ratification of the anti-hearing-loss regime under discussion - I've been thinking of the same thing.

Bagman

Back