Anyone tried Curtis Novak's pickups?

line6man

Epic Member
Has anybody here played Curtis Novak's pickups?

I have been working with him on creating my perfect bass pickup, and i am just about ready to order.

The pickup is going to be a jazz bass humbucker that splits into a standard single coil.

He told me that combining jazz pickups as a humbucker is just too hot, so he makes his half sized.
To compensate for this, he is going to do one coil half sized, and the other full sized with a coil tap.
The small pickup will be in series with the tapped part of the full size pickup.
There will be a toggle switch to switch between the single coil mode and the humbucker mode.

I was wondering if anybody has any experiance with CN's pickups.

I had a P-bass CN that featured the passive mid control. never did anything for me, so I moved on. shortly after that I discovered Nordstrands and I've been a devotee ever since

I've utilized several custom wound/designed Nordies over the years, and I have yet to be less than estatic every time

YMMV of course

all the best,

R

Ok, i just sent him the payment, so i am going to just have to hope that this pickup turns out good.

For anyone who likes long and complicated stuff, here is a copy of the specifications i sent him for the pickup he will make me.

Curtis,
Here are the details regarding the pickup that you will be making for me:

The pickup will be comprised of 2 Jazz Bass style pickups.One pickup will be a full sized Jazz Bass pickup, with a coil tap. This pickup should have the properties and construction of a good vintage Jazz Bass bridge pickup. If it helps, my current pickup is a Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Jazz Bass bridge pickup. Its specifications, if needed, can be found here:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/antiquity/bass/1104405_06_149/
(This pickup will herein after be referred to as “full size pickup”)

The second Pickup will be similar to the first, but only half as high, so that when combined with the tapped section of the first pickup, the output should be approximately equal to that of the full coil of the first pickup.
(This pickup will herein after be referred to as “half size pickup”)

Both pickups should be “bridge size”, as they will be mounted in the bridge position of the instrument.

To my knowledge, a humbucker should have coils of opposite phases, in order to cancel hum. I am not sure whether its simply a matter of connecting the + of one pickup to the – of the other, or if one coil should be wound backwards and such, but I trust that you should be familiar with how to configure the pickups…

Included is a copy of my schematic for your reference:

From the – terminal to the coil tap on the full sized pickup, will be the top coil, and from the + terminal to the coil tap will be the bottom coil.
The – terminal from the full sized pickup will function as a ground wire. The coil tap will be wired to the – terminal on the half sized pickup. The two + terminals (One from the full sized coil, and one from the half sized coil) will go to a toggle switch that allows me to select to either the series humbucker mode (top coil from full sized pickup in series with the half size pickup) or single coil mode ( full coil from the full size pickup).

I would like the following color code:

- Terminal from full size pickup Green
+ Terminal from full size pickup Yellow
Coil tap from full size pickup Blue
- Terminal from half size pickup Blue
+ Terminal from half size pickup Red

I would like the connection of the two blue wires to be done at the pickup, rather than from the control cavity… Please connect the coil tap and the – terminal from the half size pickup using a short piece of blue wire. Be sure to leave enough slack in the wire so that one pickup can be rotated to fit above the other, so that I can flip the two pickups around if I so choose.

If it is possible, I would like the wires to exit the pickup in the following manner:

For the cover: As we have discussed, you will be taking 2 Jazz Bass covers and gluing them together.

Please take 2 bridge sized Jazz Bass pickup covers (Black gloss plastic), and saw or sand off the the two nubs from one side of each pickup, and then glue them together. Please ensure that the two covers are as close together as possible, and that there is no excess glue at the edges.

Please ensure that the two pickups are removable from the cover.

Also, please be sure that the 2 pickups are entirely separate from each other (i.e. not joined at the base) so that I can flip the two pickups around if I so choose.

I have tried to be as detailed as possible regarding this, however, if you are unsure of anything, please contact me before you proceed any further.

Thank you.

Hmm sounds interesting...
I have quite recently played a pbass and a jazz pickup (non humbucking) of his, and it sounded great - you'll probably be happy.

Was using a set of his on a strat. Only makes regular single coils but I don,t think anybody makes a strat single coil better thna Novak. Got them 3 days later after paying for them. I wanted something hum free so I switched to Tom Anderson pickups. The guy I sold the Novaks to loves them.

I am trying to decide what to do for the pickup placement...
The pickup thats active in single coil mode will lie in the same spot as a traditional jazz bass bridge pickup, but should i do the other coil above or below it?

I think that doing it towards the neck is probably smarter, but it looks out of place.
Any opinions on the placement?

I have never seen a bass with that route, so i have no idea where its placed.
But its very important for me to have the coil that works in single coil mode in precisely the same spot as a tradition jazz bass pickup.

I think i found a good compromise.
I am going to order the body with no control cavity routing, so i can have my luthier put the top routed cavity up higher than usual. Say a quarter inch higher.

Edit:

Here is a picture...
Ignore the pickguard.

Warmoth offers that route, but I don't know if they center the humbucker on the center of the normal route or they leave one of the coils in the normal position and the other is forward or backward.  Call and ask.

I was told that the routing is unique to that pickup.

either way, i was going to just go with a standard Jazz bass pickup route and then have my luthier do a second jazz route directly above it to that the pickup fits the cavity perfectly.

Ok, i received my pickup in the mail today.

For anyone who is interested, here are some pictures of the custom pickup.

3116115981_b3c13a8672.jpg

3116116213_a507821414.jpg

3116116573_2d5386eca6.jpg

3116942922_b84059f2a6.jpg

I am aware of this guy's rep, but still, that looks like a nicely put together pickup!

I guess that sounded wrong.  I meant that even though I am aware of his fantastic reputation, and should have expected it to look good, it looks even better than I thought it would.  From the pics it looks as though a lot of attention was paid to the details.  :hello2:

Back