Anyone switch necks routinely

Yeah, I can hear it now:

PT:  Honey, how about this - here's how much a doubleneck would cost that does what I want it to, and I'd have to order it all custom...

Mrs. PT:  Over your dead body, slugger.  Nice try.

PT:  Okay, how about this - here's the standard one-neck guitar price, and everything's available in the showcase!  Look how much cheaper and how objectively responsible it would be for me to build it this way!

Mrs. PT:  Why, yes!  What a great husband you are! Allow me to me make you a delicious sandwich; and then we will have some very gratifying physical expressions of our love for one another, upon the completion of which you should go purchase your guitar bits.

PT:  Drat! Goddamned alarm clock went off before that good dream was over.

:laughing7:

I know. Don't take advices from me. I just recently bought a guitar for no other reason than I _needed_ to try that model out.  :icon_biggrin:

But my wife is fantastic and even said that I should hang some of my guitars in the living room because it had to reflect our life and interests. I'm a lucky guy with many guitars.  :cool01:

More like:

Mrs PT: You said after your last guitar that you had every style of pickup and body style combination that you need.

PT: yea, but this is different. You see I learned on a 24.75 scale, so when I go to play intricate parts, I need to go with what makes me comfortable.

Mrs. PT: You said after your last guitar that you had every style of pickup, scale length and body style combination that you need.

PT: Hell I work hard and I'm getting older - at the point where I want to be happy with this obsession now that my kids are finished with college.

Mrs PT: You said after your last guitar that you had every style of pickup, scale length and body style combination that you need even with your kids out of college.

So you see I put myself here. She's great though, she won't let me sell any because she's become attached to them. That's pretty cool.

She's training to be a clinical psychologist. I give her ammo.
As you can tell not my first marriage. I now know "Happy Wife, Happy Life".

All joking aside:

An appropriate reply is that you are not making things you need, any more than poets are done when they've already written a sonata, a limerick, and an ode.  You're making art, and the making and the variation in expression from one piece to the next is the point.  Certainly the finished product fulfills a certain utilitarian need when the finished product is a musical instrument (assuming you find music useful, which is another argument) - but basing the decision on whether the undertaking is worthwhile on whether you already have guitars is like not writing books because you already filled the shelf. 

If it were solely about the accumulation of more axes, well, yeah, then you're just another hoarder, and I'll see you on TV.  But the point is not simply to have another guitar - the point is to find creative expression through making another guitar, and thereby to become more self-actualized - to ascend Maslow's hierarchy of needs, in other terms.  If it were about having guitars, you could just buy another one.  But the guitar is not solely a possession - it is an accomplishment. 

A clinical psychologist's arguments (even if she's an embryonic one) should accommodate such reasoning, even if for practical purposes the near-term resolution is that you don't build another guitar for another six months or a year.

Some people have a knack for establishing clear reasons for other's behaviors. She has that knack and it's the perfect field for her.

Me- I like accumulating anything guitar and hope that no one calls me on it, but I admit, you put it into better perspective from my standpoint especially from the artistic expression point of view. Thanks for that bagman:eek:ccasion14:

I'm still looking at the showcase.
You know the double neck potential solution is pretty cool. I'd need to get a body blank, cut out the top to match the undersurface of my W 7 string turned 6 string and then get some sort of latch THEN find a way to share the electronics for the piezo. All food for thought here.

My wife's oblivious to the string holders going in and out of this house.  The other day, I worked on a bandmate's guitar, so she saw it at the house.  At the gig, she asks, "Is he playing your guitar?"

I've found a good system of separating job money and gig money.  Our jobs pay and save for everything they should.  My gigs have paid for all my Warmoths except the first one, which I bought with scrap copper, and other music related stuff.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
My wife's oblivious to the string holders going in and out of this house.  The other day, I worked on a bandmate's guitar, so she saw it at the house.  At the gig, she asks, "Is he playing your guitar?"

I've found a good system of separating job money and gig money.  Our jobs pay and save for everything they should.  My gigs have paid for all my Warmoths except the first one, which I bought with scrap copper, and other music related stuff.

So YOU'RE the one who stole the copper pipes out of my house!.  :evil4:

Great Ape said:
NEED?? NEED?? Who's kiddin' who? "GO FORTH & MULTIPLY!!!".

Exactly why I like this forum. A bunch of like minded individuals. :toothy10:

Just tune down 1/2 step and capo 1 if you really need a 24.75 feel. Far easier than swapping necks. Won't comment on the relationship dynamic though I'm tempted. :)

Or, do like I did and go to 24.75" and go up THREE string gauges. 

Routinely? Are you kidding? Changing a neck is a pain in the tush even when it's going to be an obvious improvement an' you're all charged-up about it. With the electricity used to keep this thread alive you coulda bought yerself a new neck & a unique-choice chambered bubinga, spalted koa-topped somethin' or other! :icon_jokercolor: 

last 2 points taken.

At the risk of further increasing the utility bill of this thread I'd like to explain a bit more.

The following is way TMI. One further question I have is italicized if you want the news and not the weather.

Routinely was certainly ambiguous. I'm really concentrating on home recording now and want to use my 13 pin Hex out (graph tech) to eventually go into a midi converter then polyphonic midi into my DAW (mine is pro logic). You can see the 13 pin jack on the middle guitar in the photo below of my Warmoth Wall. I bought one converter box that ended up not working with my iMac. Anybody know of a polyphonic midi convertor without having to purchase an entire synthesizer suite? Whole nother story there. They actually don't exist.
Anyway using an orchestra virtual instrument(s) is one of the things I want to do using slide, also finger picking and chording. The neck I bought was Wizard profile - way too thin for me a whole nother story- and 25.5 scale. I can do slide finger picking etc with it fine but some of the songs I've written have a 5 fret span and also some solo parts that would be easier for me using what I learned on (63 melody maker I had in the 70's then a flying V). My Zebracaster award tying guitar has a warhead neck that's perfect but I don't have the hex pick up on it. That brings us to the the reason for the question. Using 2 necks fairly routinely would solve the issue (yes a spoiled brat issue but anyway).

IMG_1051.jpg

PT said:
Anybody know of a polyphonic midi convertor without having to purchase an entire synthesizer suite?

The Axon AX50 - but it's out of production. It shows up now and then on the used market here in Denmark. But I don't know about US?

Somehow, I'm reminded of a very good guitar teacher I had some time back who taught me a helluva lotta stuff, but the three biggies I'm left with are:

1. Always play with a metronome
2. Slow down to speed up, and
3. Dare to suck

I could expound on those for some time, but they can be boiled down to: Be deliberate, and brave.

This guy (and he's not alone in my experience) could play anything on anything, and well. It brings to mind another old saying: 'Tis a poor workman who blames his tools.

So, I guess what I'm saying is:

ShutUpfb29681bjpg.jpg

Shut up 'n' play yer guitar!

A lot of guys (myself included) spend a great deal of time/effort/money in search of the holy grail of guitars/gear, when all along nirvana is in our fingers if we'd just put forth the effort to realize it...

dorothys-shoes-300x210.jpg

There's no place like 127.0.0.1!

So, try to keep in mind that you've got some damn good, high-quality gear. Award-winning, even. You're not hurting. Buckle down.

And tell your wife she owes me $50 <grin>

yer right Cagey- again. Like I tell people, hell it ain't cancer so what's the bitchin about?

The axon is a great solution, too bad they are out of production. Last time I saw one on ebay it went for $600+. Amazing.

Are they independent of the computer or do they work with the computer OS?

Yamaha is a 1U rackmount standalone GK to MIDI converter. It contains some of the Axon technologies, but doesn't work with piezos. It does however give you the cool Axon "picking positional along string length as control parameter or patch change"

Back