Anyone ever seen an unfinished wenge top after some use?

Kvebbs

Hi!

Anyone ever seen a body with an unfinished wenge-top after some use? A friend of mine has a wenge neck, and I know it gets darker with use... I was just wondering if anyone has had either experience with an unfinished wenge-top, and / or has any pictures of it after some areas get worn? I saw Jkellington made an awesome wenge-vip but there hasn't been an update there for some weeks...

-kvebbs

BUMP. Something I've wondered myself.
I have all my guitars painted.
Someday I'll leave an Ax uncovered, but know how the appearance ages.

Another +1.

I asked something similar on another thread.... I was pondering an all-raw, all-wenge SG.  I'd love to see that VIP after a year of hard use.  I have fairly sweaty hands which can damage wood... my desk at work has nasty stains where my hands rest in front of the keyboard and mouse :p  However my raw necks seem to be holding up fine.  Isn't someone in the middle of some complicated custom-routing project on an all-wenge VIP?

I've decided to hit the body with some tru-oil - hopefully that will keep the palm of my hand from making a big black stain on the wenge! Yup, JKellington i think is in the middle of an all-wenge VIP-build... But he hasn't posted since june - he had just hit it with lemon oil and was going for the tru-oil as well if I'm not mistaken! Think it's over at his tech for some electronics... Can't wait to see the finished result though - wenge is awesome! :hello2:

It's okay for guitars to look worn, especially if you the one doing the wearing.  If you're worried about resale value, well, custom stuff (no matter the quality and what you payed for it) usually depreciates quite fast.  Most of the value of custom stuff has little to do with the item and more to do with who made it and who owned it.  Sorry for the tangent.

Back