Anyone already planning on their next build

Ooooohh.. One of the brain farts I've had kicking around a while is to do a frame/skin hollow body. My idea was actually rather than hog out a whole blank for a W style hollow body - to glue up a small handfull of pieces and route that, mostly to avoid turning 80% of the blank into sawdust.  The brain sometimes optimizes on strange variables though - the wood is still a lot cheaper than the labor/machine time.

swarfrat said:
Ooooohh.. One of the brain farts I've had kicking around a while is to do a frame/skin hollow body. My idea was actually rather than hog out a whole blank for a W style hollow body - to glue up a small handfull of pieces and route that, mostly to avoid turning 80% of the blank into sawdust.  The brain sometimes optimizes on strange variables though - the wood is still a lot cheaper than the labor/machine time.
Good idea, win-win all the way around...

DangerousR6 said:
I see walnut center block, with quilt maple top and back.... :dontknow:

Good idea. I'm liking that concept, however right now I have to use what wood I've got on hand so I might have to make an adjustment or two. We'll see as it goes along.... :icon_thumright:

While waiting for more parts to arrive in the mail, I am mulling over a rear routed Jazzmaster with two P90s and recessed Gotoh ToM bridge.  Walnut seems nice.

For some reason I keep thinking somewhere out there somebody must make a Tele 3 way switch that wires like a Gibson toggle...

PhilHill said:
DangerousR6 said:

Good idea. I'm liking that concept, however right now I have to use what wood I've got on hand so I might have to make an adjustment or two. We'll see as it goes along.... :icon_thumright:
:sad1:

DangerousR6 said:
PhilHill said:
DangerousR6 said:

Sorry, I would like to do it that way but reality strikes. As in I'm too broke to buy more wood and get a neck that I need.......What I've got figured out so far will have a 3 1/2in long by 4in wide block of walnut under the bridge. A curly maple top and sides as pictured. I don't have enough walnut to do a whole center bock, but I do have a quarter-sawn black walnut drop top I can use for the back.  :icon_thumright:

Sorry jack_H, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I would like to find a Tele switch like that myself.... :headbang:

PhilHill said:
DangerousR6 said:
PhilHill said:
DangerousR6 said:

Sorry, I would like to do it that way but reality strikes. As in I'm too broke to buy more wood and get a neck that I need.......What I've got figured out so far will have a 3 1/2in long by 4in wide block of walnut under the bridge. A curly maple top and sides as pictured. I don't have enough walnut to do a whole center bock, but I do have a quarter-sawn black walnut drop top I can use for the back.  :icon_thumright:
:headbanging:

My curse is constantly brainstorming project ideas. But it results in some I really am enjoying now.I have a set of Sanford Magnetics P-90s that need to end up in something, maybe a Switchback. And strats are always on the menu...

musicispeace said:
My curse is constantly brainstorming project ideas. But it results in some I really am enjoying now.I have a set of Sanford Magnetics P-90s that need to end up in something, maybe a Switchback. And strats are always on the menu...

Fishman's fixing to release a set of Fluence P90's, probably after the new year.  Greg Koch's developing them with Fishman for use in one of his Reverend signature models.  I am contemplating grabbing some to go into a future build.  I just love P90's to death.

NedRyerson said:
Indeed.  I just ordered the neck for my current build, and I've been exploring the next one already.  Either a VIP or carved-top Soloist body or a Gecko-6.

Because I don't have a 6-string bass yet. :D

Plenty of time to save my next $1,000, right?

Reverb.com is a dangerous place.  I may be starting my next project sooner than originally anticipated....

Back