any thoughts on purple heart?

sundin4prez

i wan t to buy a warmoth maple/purple heart neck to go with the new purple heart body blank i just bought

2 questions-  1.how does a purpleheart board sound
                        and
                        2.has anybody heard of using purple heart for a whole body? and if so can you explain how it sounds

One of the forum members (I believe Snouter) has a video up on youtube with a Korina/Purpleheart Strat Demo!

how does Purpleheart sound? A whole lot will depend on so many other factors (like pickup(s) and placement, strings, playing style, etc ...) that it is near impossible to say for sure. about the only thing I can say for sure is that a Purpleheart body and neck instrument is going to be waaaaaay heavy, and something that my back would never give me the opportunity to play

all the best,

R

thanks for the info,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,its going to be one of thoose guitars that i just play at home and never leaves my living room.....im planing on buting a paf in the neck position and thats it

I have a real hard time getting past the fact the wood is, well.., purple...  With that said, I've checked out many of the purpleheart/ebony bass necks we've made.  They have some of the deepest, clearest and longest sustaining tones of any wood combination I've ever tried.  For bass players wanting that clear piano like sound, I'd strongly recommend the combination.  And it is not light!

You may hear similar results with a guitar neck.  Just a guess though.

-Eric.

Wyliee said:
I have a real hard time getting past the fact the wood is, well.., purple...  With that said, I've checked out many of the purpleheart/ebony bass necks we've made.  They have some of the deepest, clearest and longest sustaining tones of any wood combination I've ever tried.  For bass players wanting that clear piano like sound, I'd strongly recommend the combination.  And it is not light!

You may hear similar results with a guitar neck.  Just a guess though.

-Eric.

Hey Eric!
I'm a guitar player, but someday I'll build a bass to have fun!
What body woods you think is the best match with purpleheart??? I like the sound of Music Man and Rickenbacker basses (well, I dunno much basses, in deed... almost every bassmen uses JB ou PB... but I do prefer those two)

NonsenseTele said:
Hey Eric!
I'm a guitar player, but someday I'll build a bass to have fun!
What body woods you think is the best match with purpleheart??? I like the sound of Music Man and Rickenbacker basses (well, I dunno much basses, in deed... almost every bassmen uses JB ou PB... but I do prefer those two)

My first thought was walnut.  That could be a heavy bass!  Put a nice grindy MM pickup in it.  It would have more punch than the basses you mentioned.  Alternately, I'd look at black korina for more warmth.  Maybe add a bubinga top for extra bling.

-Eric.

Wyliee said:
My first thought was walnut.  That could be a heavy bass!  Put a nice grindy MM pickup in it.  It would have more punch than the basses you mentioned.  Alternately, I'd look at black korina for more warmth.  Maybe add a bubinga top for extra bling.

-Eric.

We're starting to come to somewhere!  :toothy10: I have really liked the "more punch" idea!

hey, I have a full, solid purpleheart strat body on the way...clear nitro finish.  Don't have it yet, but I have high hopes.  The builder said to expect LP type weight (5-6lbs for the body).

http://ghostzapp.smugmug.com/

Here is one of his purpleheart strats, but it isn't mine.  No paint or stain here...all natural.  This one has a mahogany back...

Attachments

• bc22_1.JPG
    bc22_1.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 360
no warmoth on the body, because warmoth doesn't make 'em like that, but I will of course use a warmoth neck.

Wyliee said:

-Eric.

Eric, a Maple body would work as well as Walnut?
My idea nowadays are kind less "heavy" sound: 60 and 70's... But I'm still about the punchness  :icon_biggrin:

Wyliee said:

-Eric.

Eric, I always understood this "bling" as:
Korina could saturate the bass frequency and the bubinga top would help to keep thing clear and with details, not muddy...
But my dictionary (better than the online one) says like visual shiny...
I was correct or it were about the look?

Back