Any scalloped fingerboard players here?

DustyCat said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I think if I were to go for a scalloped fingerboard nowadays though, I'd likely only do the 21st through the 24th frets on a SS6100 equipped neck, just my own personal preference.

Im curious. Why would you only scallop a neck from the 21st through the 24th frets?

Don't need it any lower, the fret height of the 6100's lifts me off the fingerboard enough, having it up higher just aids in bending.  Even then, I don't think it's completely necessary if you have higher frets.  I'd rather have the mass of wood still there to contribute to tone and stability.

@Cagey
Like the "Seizure Inducing Fighting Robot" show when the Simpsons went to Japan. Haha! Those maniacs in DragonForces must have been package handlers before they made it big, or worked the van lines  :laughing7:

Do you guys have loner/trial/rental necks one could try out? I just got this sweet "Cool Cat" VIP body that is screaming for a neck. My Lute can wait...

I think even with years of bad fretting hand technique (vice/deathgrip) in my tendons, I could get used to a scalloped neck (and one point I thought it was the future I.e. Sitars) but now I like "tone and stability" (TFS), and don't 6100's give you "an almost scalloped feel?"

My LP and my Tele have wimpy frets. When I bend, sometimes I feel like I'm scraping the fingerboard wood with the metal string. And I thought finger nails scratching chalk boards was a horribominable feeling...

DustyCat said:
Do you guys have loner/trial/rental necks one could try out? I just got this sweet "Cool Cat" VIP body that is screaming for a neck. My Lute can wait...

I suspect for most people that would fall into the same category as borrowing computers. Fuhgeddaboudit.

DustyCat said:
I think even with years of bad fretting hand technique (vice/deathgrip) in my tendons, I could get used to a scalloped neck (and one point I thought it was the future I.e. Sitars) but now I like "tone and stability" (TFS), and don't 6100's give you "an almost scalloped feel?"

Yeah, they're some big rascals. If you're one who likes to manhandle his necks, you'll have a rough time playing those frets in tune. If all you played was lead, you might get away with it - just call it "English". But, for chording, you really have to watch what you're doing. I have 6100s on all my guitars, and any time anyone who's over plays one they spend half their time tuning the damn thing, then I have to retune them after they leave.

When I had a scalloped strat, it was with Fender's stock fretwire.

with 6100's, I honestly cannot see the practicality of needing a scalloped fingerboard, with the possible (subjective) exception of the 21st through 24th fret.

I recall my 1 piece all maple neck becoming more more flimsy after the scallop which is a further deterent for me personally.
Of course, my 1 piece Fender neck did not have a double expanding truss rod either, fwiw.

Thanks guys. I value personal experience as much as I do chords! (A lot!) And yourn replies have been very helpful.

These are some pretty important decisions/options. I am really glad I too that leap of faith when I got 1 11/16" nut width from u guys in 2005. Won't eva go back! (There may be a time for 1 3/4" who knows...).

Maybe scalloped 6100's might have pushed my luck too far (but hey that ethiopian chick can shred a guitar piano style, let's not mention Mr. Stanley Jordan.) So the question still remains how adaptable the human body really is.

Last questions if you would be so kind:

1) If I go 6100's can I go back to 6150's if they don't work out?
2) If I go Fatback contour, can the neck be sent back and (re)shaved down to 59 or SRV?

DustyCat said:
1) If I go 6100's can I go back to 6150's if they don't work out?
2) If I go Fatback contour, can the neck be sent back and (re)shaved down to 59 or SRV?

Warmoth glues their frets in, but they can still be replaced. However, they won't do it. You'll have to pay someone else for that fight. I've already asked on this one, as they had a neck in the Showcase once that I wanted really bad, but it had 6150s on it and I wanted the 6100s.

Same deal with the profile. It can be modified after the fact, but Warmoth won't do it. You'll have to pay someone else. They make custom parts, but they're a manufacturer, not a service shop. You buy what they make and if you want changes later, you find a service shop. On the plus side, they can make damn near anything you want. So, the thing to do is make up your mind up front.

Cagey said:
Warmoth glues their frets in, but they can still be replaced. However, they won't do it. You'll have to pay someone else for that fight. I've already asked on this one, as they had a neck in the Showcase once that I wanted really bad, but it had 6150s on it and I wanted the 6100s.

Same deal with the profile. It can be modified after the fact, but Warmoth won't do it. You'll have to pay someone else. They make custom parts, but they're a manufacturer, not a service shop. You buy what they make and if you want changes later, you find a service shop. On the plus side, they can make damn near anything you want. So, the thing to do is make up your mind up front.

I want 6100's!

-DC

DustyCat said:
I want 6100's!

Yeah, they're nice. You can really get a grip on the strings using those babies. And if you do the stainless or gold ones, it's even better because then you not only have a helluva grip on the strings, they stretch/slide like the frets are greased.

Back