Specs:
neck type 5pc JEM Maple/Walnut neck
body Basswood body
fret W/6105 frets
bridge Tight-End bridge
neck pu DiMarzio® Breed ™ (H) neck pu
middle pu DiMarzio® Breed ™ (S) mid pu
bridge pu DiMarzio® Breed ™ (H) bridge pu

I think it's really cool except for that idiotic logo.

That was the whole big thing this year, the no trem. Seems like blasphemy with the way Vai uses the whammy bar all the time

The biggest problem with those things is the toothpick necks.  I'm sure you can get one without the logo... if it had a decent sized neck it would be a nice guitar.

Max said:
I'm not much of a fan, but that thing looks like it needs a trem.

Put on a trem and take away the VAI logo, and I'd consider it.  On second thought, I'd rather build a Warmoth.   :laughing7:

Seriously, I would like to get an older JEM for my collection, but the prices are way more than I'd be willing to spend. 

I am a HUGE Steve Vai fan, and the JEM is one of the very few guitars that interest me, but i am not a fan of this "'09" model.

Whats the deal with the fugly hardtail bridge?
Pretty much every song that Steve plays makes liberal use of the whammy bar...

I like his original logo, but not this modified one, and certainly not under the bridge.

As a Jem fan, and Jem owner, I gotta say, not a big fan of it.

It looks cheap.  I don't mind the logo, it's just something about the pickups smooshed together on the gray pickguard, no-trem.   It just looks like Ibanez is looking for a quick buck instead of coming out with a quality instrument.

erik

line6man said:
I am a HUGE Steve Vai fan, and the JEM is one of the very few guitars that interest me, but i am not a fan of this "'09" model.

Whats the deal with the fugly hardtail bridge?
Pretty much every song that Steve plays makes liberal use of the whammy bar...

I like his original logo, but not this modified one, and certainly not under the bridge.

taez555 said:
As a Jem fan, and Jem owner, I gotta say, not a big fan of it.

It looks cheap.  I don't mind the logo, it's just something about the pickups smooshed together on the gray pickguard, no-trem.   It just looks like Ibanez is looking for a quick buck instead of coming out with a quality instrument.

erik

These two quotes have summed up pretty much everyone's thoughts on the instrument that I have seen. I like the idea of a hardtail myself, but that logo....man, that logo.....that thing just kills the entire guitar for me.

I like the Breeds and the hardtail is a nice touch but it's just not up to par with other JEMs  :sad1:

Has he suddenly quit using trems or is this a really cheap version? That bridge looks like one of the ones they use on their cheapest models.

Mapleg4 said:
Has he suddenly quit using trems

I really wonder what faces he would make during the parts that would have normally had outrageous whammy tricks?

I simply cannot imagine a Vai song without the whammy tricks...
Its so much a part of his style, both musically and in terms of his showmanship.

Like any sig model, he can get his from the custom shop.  This didn't go into production so he could use all of the units made.  They're made for his fans that don't necessarily care for a trem...possibly.  Someone will buy them.  I've always like the non-trem Ibanezes, especially Paul Gilbert's, but he has trem and non-trem versions.

Naw, this is the real version of the JEM for 2009. By real I mean, it's not the cheap version of the JEM and from what I've heard it's gonna go for about the standard price as 7VWH would. The bridge is called a "tight end".

390.JPG

It's supposed to give you more precise adjustments or something.

Back