Another Sonic Blue Jagstang

smudger

Having owned a Fiesta red Fender Jag-Stang, i remember only too well the flaws that led me to sell it. So the solution was to order a custom made body from Warmoth that I could modify to remove the things that annoyed me about the guitar, which were the horid mustang tremolo unit and the switches placed above the pickups just so I can keep catching my wrists on them, oh yes and I always wanted a sonic blue one.

So I ordered an alder jagstang body without a bridge route, a red pearl scratch plate with out the holes for the pesky switches and a 24" reverse headstock flame maple neck with ebony board from the showcase.

Here is where I'm up to...

DSCF2681.jpg

The bridge unit is a through body type similar to a hardtail strat bridge and is actually from a Fender Toronado and matches up perfectly with the pickguard. The first pot is volume for both pickups the second is a blend pot to switch between pickups  The pickups are off flea bay, a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom (which I've had in several guitars previously) and the neck pick up from a Kurt Cobain Signature Mustang. The sonic blue finish is Nitro Cellulose. If it plays as well as it's shaping up I'll be a very happy fella.

How well does the blend pot work, given the dissimilar output impedances of the pickups?

If you look closely at the pic you'll see the guitar is not finished this was the first time I have had all the bits together since I painted it. Needs a few more coats of oil on the neck yet, but as for the blend pot it seems to work for the Fender '51 & '72 pawn shop guitars..? If not I'll go for a PRS style switch.

smudger said:
If you look closely at the pic you'll see the guitar is not finished this was the first time I have had all the bits together since I painted it. Needs a few more coats of oil on the neck yet, but as for the blend pot it seems to work for the Fender '51 & '72 pawn shop guitars..? If not I'll go for a PRS style switch.

I'd go with a pickup selector. Blend pots cause all sorts of issues, such as uneven blending with dissimilar output impedances, insertion loss issues at the center detent, and extra resistive loading on the pickups. Then again, some people are happy. Depends what you like in a wiring scheme.

Another possibility is to throw a single sized humbucker in the neck if the balance is all wonky.

line6man said:
I'd go with a pickup selector. Blend pots cause all sorts of issues, such as uneven blending with dissimilar output impedances, insertion loss issues at the center detent, and extra resistive loading on the pickups. Then again, some people are happy. Depends what you like in a wiring scheme.

I've already got the blend pot so i'll give it a go, if not I fancy a prs style 5 way rotary switch.
AutoBat said:
Another possibility is to throw a single sized humbucker in the neck if the balance is all wonky.
I have thought about something like a little 59 in the neck.... may be just the excuse I need, but I'm gonna see how the bit's I've already got work together before I change parts etc...

All good advise though  :eek:ccasion14:

Slight change of plans, I've just acquired a Dimarzio Tone Zone & Air Noton, so double humbucker for the JS...

As the JS has a universal route I ordered a Hum / Single and a Hum / Hum scratch plate when I got the body  ;) :glasses9: :D

The Fender '51 and '72 have a switch that looks like it might be a blend pot.  It's decidedly not.  I would shy away from a blend pot with dissimilar pickups.

-Mark

AprioriMark said:
The Fender '51 and '72 have a switch that looks like it might be a blend pot.  It's decidedly not.  I would shy away from a blend pot with dissimilar pickups.

-Mark

Thinking about it it was the 72 I tried and that has 2 x 'buckers, all be it 1 is a wide range and the other a 'Gibson' size.

Anyways as I now have 2 full size Dimarzio 'buckers I'm gonna stick with the blend pot for now, but I do have a switchcraft toggle switch on stand by ;)

Humbucker surrounds attached to pickguard, penultimate coat of tru oil has been applied to the neck. Hopefully it'll be up and running in the next two weeks :party07:

DSCF2703.jpg

It's hard to tell without some good instrumentation, but one of those pickup holes looks a bit askew...

Yep the bridge humbucker is 'angled' and the neck is straight. Standard option on Warmoth JS pickguards.

Back