Another one-part excuse for a build

bagman67

Epic Member
So this weekend I was in a local shop that carries a lot of used gear, and I ran across a brand new Carvin neck - never been installed before.  No bolt holes, no tuner anchor screw holes, no nothin' - totally virgin neck.  Ebony on maple, no finish, dot inlays, medium-jumbo frets, Graphtech nut.  Sixty bucks, which is about 120 bucks less than it would cost to build brand new.  Needless to say, I scooped it up.

So now I have a neck with an aching need to become part of a guitar.  Not sure where to go with it yet, but I just wanted to brag a bit.

Carry on.

Bagman

Hold your horses, buckaroo.  I took it home and then took over supervising the toddler, so you'll have to wait for tonight for me to photograph it.

Congratulations that's a great price. Perhaps we can do a forum design or come up with suggestions ?

I have one of those necks here sitting in the closet just rotting. Originally had it installed on Fender Strat. Nice parts. Helluva deal, even new at full price, so you've done exceptionally well.

I don't remember you ever talking about having a Soloist. I can imagine that neck on a Soloist body being a fine thing. There are a bunch of them here. Add a few pickups, some tuners, maybe a bridge, and you're ready for some serious ork 'n' orr.

Mebbe so, Cagey.  I'll put that in my brainpan and see if it comes out stew.

I also have a pair of Carvin S22 chrome-covered 'buckers to drop in whatever the neck gets stuck to.  Picked up the pair, brand new, never installed, etc., for 50 bucks on the List of Craig.  Maybe the idea here is to build the cheapity-cheapest axe I can.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/S22TC

Alternatively.... Velocity?

CTVP44A.jpg

If you're going to go chrome, I have a couple used but beautiful Gotoh 510s and a new TOM+STP, all in chrome, none of which I have plans for if you're interested.

As for that Velocity, that is one beautiful part. But, if it was me, I'd want to grind off the point on the top of the Carvin neck headstock before finishing. I can't see a pointy headstock on that body, even though the feature is not that severe on the Carvin. But, maybe somebody with the patience to deal with Photoshop will render something.

Very cool!  You must tell me about this place with used gear and unused necks....

Ebony and maple makes me think you should try your hand an archtop.  Or at least a semihollow.

tylereot said:
Very cool!  You must tell me about this place with used gear and unused necks....

Ebony and maple makes me think you should try your hand an archtop.  Or at least a semihollow.
[/quote}

Hi, Tyler -

I found this at Starving Musician in Santa Clara.  THey have a shop in Berkeley and one in Santa Cruz as well, and in each of them they have couple tubs of bits and bobs to root through - and very occasionally a body or a neck waiting for some love.

I like the thinline idea, but it's not my top choice right now.  I'll continue to noodle on it.

So now I'm thinking maybe a Musiclander would go well with the lines of the Carvin headstock.  Thoughts?

I don't know. Maybe I'm just used to seeing them on Carvin guitars...

121779b.jpg

Which sorta leads you to a Strat/Soloist/VIP sorta thing.

Yeah, they definitely look right in their native environment - but the Musiclander rounded-off pointiness feels right to me with that headstock.  At least it does right this minute.  We'll see how I feel after I go eat lunch.

That headstock & body combo would indeed look good!  And: there are not nearly enough Musiclanders in the world; strats & soloists are everywhere.  Go Musiclander!

I vote Musiclander just because you hardly ever see them and I think it would fit that headstock shape.

Decision made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warmoth-VW-Maple-Flamed-top-Alder-back-body-Fender-scaled-EVH-Style-MINT-/121236735094?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI121236735094.N19.S2.M-57&nma=true&si=7Hqhi4PUccN9P62m7kFn0aYnGS4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

$_57.JPG

Cagey said:
Congrats! That's a very attractive part!

Thanks, Cagey.  I'm actually rethinking some things.  I may put the Carvin neck on my in-progress tobacco burst Strat, and put the wenge neck on this VW body. So many options... I do know I'll be drilling a hole for a second pot in this guy so I can run it one-vol-one-tone.  If I'm feelin' brave I may haul out a rasp and give it a tummy cut as well.

If you're still looking to get rid of a TOM and stop tail, I'm officially in the market.

Bagman

That's a great looking body. Once the which neck on which body is decided, what hardware and pickups ?

Back