Another idea - Korina!

spauldingrules

Since I have the perfect (Warmoth!) strat, I am not only jonesing for a tele but a Les Paul sound.  I love the comfort of the Jazzmaster body, but anyway...

can I finish a Black Korina just in Tru Oil and Satin Poly?  See my Swamp Ash ? for more details.  Everyone seems to think the Ash is way to porous and needs to be filled - does Korina?  Thanks!

TS

Don't think so; I know because I got PM'ed from someone that tried putting poly on top of tung oil and wound up with a major shriveled mess he had to sand back to bare wood and start over again on, would make an educated guess you'd have the same issue with applying it over tru-oil...

Why would you want to do that anyway? If you prefer the satin poly, just throw some appropriate stain on the body and then the poly...

You don't HAVE to fill korina, but if you don't you have whatever finish you use shrinking into grain holes all over the body and it won't make for a very pro looking finish. Besides the smallish grain pores all over the wood, some of the grain lines in korina can be quite deep and require as much fill as Swamp Ash...

Korina is great for oil finishes and you can end up with a great looking result, but like everything it takes a bit of time and work. To date I've built two Korina guitars. The first time I didn't seal or grainfill it at all. I used Danish oil on the body virtually straight out of the box. I rubbed it in with 400 wet/dry paper and built up a finish with about a dozen applications. When I was happy with the look I left it a week and then waxed it with carnauba wax. The back view of the Jazzmaster is the result.
The second time was the strat I recently completed. This time I sand/sealed then grainfilled before using Tung oil (a very different substance to work with). The strat is a lot smoother and shinier than the Jazzmaster, so if you don't want it shiny just go the first way. But both guitars took about the same time to finish. The Danish oil one was just more simple to do.
BTW here's a couple of before/after views of the strat with/without filler

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 264
  • bk0032.JPG
    bk0032.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 303
  • kk0069.JPG
    kk0069.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 286
That Jazzmaster look is exactly what I am after.  I have done Tru Oil then Poly on an alder strat and it looks great, so I do have some experience, but not a lot.  How did you apply the Danish Oil?  With a cloth, and then use the 400 sandpaper after each coat dries?  And where can I buy some Danish oil like you used?  I love the look of yours!  Does it growl like a Les Paul?  How is the sound?  Any regrets/changes you would make to it?

I live in Australia so I couldn't tell you where you can buy Cabots danish oil but I'm sure your local hardware chain could supply something similar.
I literally slapped the oil on with a cloth then rubbed it in along the grain with the 400 paper wrapped round a cork sanding block STRAIGHT AWAY. This created a slurry of the oil and wood dust that worked into the pores of the wood. I left it for about 30mins then wiped the paste off with the oily cloth then about an hour later wiped it down again with a clean cloth. I repeated this process at 24hr. intervals till I was happy with the finish, about 12 times.
The guitar sounds great, very warm and "Gibsonic" with the SD59 'bucker. It's got a 1/4pounder bridge pup and that makes it bellow like a tele on 'roids. Both together? = crunch deluxe.
Have fun :icon_thumright:

spauldingrules said:
Thanks WillyK - got any more pics of it? 

Here ya go..this will give you an idea of what to expect first up. It gets better

Attachments

• bk0012.JPG
    bk0012.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 272
  • bk0014.JPG
    bk0014.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 295
  • bk0017.JPG
    bk0017.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 263
Moving right along.............

Attachments

• bk0029.JPG
    bk0029.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 286
  • bk0036.JPG
    bk0036.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 276
Hey Willyk - what does the strat with Korina body sound like? Does it still have the "classic" strat sound? I'm wanting to build a strat next and cannot make my mind up on finish. I am toying with the idea of finishing it myself.

Korina looks so dramatic with the blackguard and I have a Bareknuckle Apache loaded pickguard in black, just waiting to jump on a body... :laughing7:

PS I emailed Rene - he's seems like real nice guy, gonna pop in at some point to check out the MIJ stuff he has...

Ted; the korina strat has all the classic strat sounds plus a few more. it has 3 different Rio Grandes and I wired the 2nd tone knob to the bridge pickup. It's capable of just about anything, well you know what I mean! just bigger, like on your honeymoon!..... :evil4: Do it Ted!  Finish a korina with your own bare knuckles! :blob7:

JR; ask Wyliee if he still has the drawings and specs for my guitar that you love so much. I would love to see a right handed version. (even if the poor bugger did have to live in Melbourne :glasses9:)

:redflag: oooo low blow willy.  At least down here it wouldnt have to worry about whether its mummy is its daddy or its daddy is its mummy. But seriously, when I do get around to my next guitar, ill start askin round for those plans.

willyk said:
JR; ask Wyliee if he still has the drawings and specs for my guitar that you love so much. I would love to see a right handed version. (even if the poor bugger did have to live in Melbourne :glasses9:)

Long since filed away in the dark recesses of storage.  Sorry!  Do you still have your drawings Willy?

-Eric.

Wyliee said:
willyk said:

Long since filed away in the dark recesses of storage.  Sorry!  Do you still have your drawings Willy?

-Eric.

No dramas mate; I've still got everything I sent you. I would just have to reverse the pics.... :laughing7:

hang on, so are we talking full sized plans? cous if we are, then where do i send the cheque? 

>JR< said:
hang on, so are we talking full sized plans? cous if we are, then where do i send the cheque? 

the plans are whatever size you blow up the JPGs to........no charge

Back