Another bad buzz question

lafromla1

I have a feeling that the bridge wire was not connected properly to the studs when it was installed.

I hooked up my Regal to my Marshall amp and cranked the gain.  The buzz was terrible until I touched the bridge, then it was completely gone.  The underlying hissing of the high gain was still there and that I had expected.  When I lowered the gain and even switched over to the clean channel, the bad buzzing was still there, until I again, touched the bridge.

Touching the strings lowered the buzz but did not eliminate it.  I took the cover off the back and took a separate wire and went from the bridge ground wire and touched it to my hands, it lowered the buzz, but did not eliminate it like when i touched the bridge.  touching each of the pots lowered the buzz, but did not eliminate it.  Touching the outer part of the input jack also lowered the buzz, but did not eliminate it.  It seems that only touching the bridge (studs) eliminates the buzzing (leaving only the hiss of the high gain, or nothing on the clean channel).

Any thoughts???

Grab a length of wire and temp install it from the starting point directly to the bridge post to confirm that is the issue.

I'm experiencing this same exact problem and symptoms as well right now and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's up.

One thing I noticed with mine (aside from the fact that it happens in all positions) is that if I roll off the tone, the buzz goes away. Does yours do that?

ghostrider25 said:
I'm experiencing this same exact problem and symptoms as well right now and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's up.

One thing I noticed with mine (aside from the fact that it happens in all positions) is that if I roll off the tone, the buzz goes away. Does yours do that?

That's because a tone control takes away treble. That's how it works.

line6man said:
ghostrider25 said:

I realize that, but what I'm wondering is if there's anyway to tell where in the circuit the issue might be based on that? For example, it has to mean that the grounding issue has to be really early on, right?

ghostrider25 said:
line6man said:
ghostrider25 said:

I realize that, but what I'm wondering is if there's anyway to tell where in the circuit the issue might be based on that? For example, it has to mean that the grounding issue has to be really early on, right?

No. The tone pot is performing as it is supposed to, and it has no relation to the hum issue. And what does "really early on" even mean?

Your best option is to examine the wiring closely, with an Ohm meter. Search for the problem so that you can correct it.

It might help if you've got photos and a wiring diagram -then we can help you identify where the problem might be.

Back