ANGLED NECK POCKET

ampman

Are the neck holes drilled at an angle to compensate for the pocket tilt? Seems that a standard pre-drilled Strat neck's holes would be a couple of degrees out of alighnment with the holes in the angled neck pocket. How do builders or Warmoth deal with this aspect?  - Jim 

The angle is very small, well within the tolerance of a wood screw attachment. It's a non-issue unless other mods become involved. :icon_thumright:

Just to add to that, do the conversion necks come with a built in angle?  Is that what they mean when they say "13 degrees"?

I only ask because I'm looking at an LP body and an LP neck - if I wanted to use a traditional TOM bridge, presumably I'd need the neck angle?

Mark.

MrBump said:
Just to add to that, do the conversion necks come with a built in angle?  Is that what they mean when they say "13 degrees"?

I only ask because I'm looking at an LP body and an LP neck - if I wanted to use a traditional TOM bridge, presumably I'd need the neck angle?

Mark.

The 13 degrees is the angle that the headstock is tilted back.  The TOM only requires a neck pocket angle of 1-3 degrees, I think...

If you order a bridge route that requires the neck pocket angle like TOM/Gotoh 510/etc., requisite neck pocket angle will be machined in neck pocket machining. There are no issues with stock neckplate/screws.

I have an even stupider :) question.

I'm a strat guy historically so know very little about LPs.

Why is the neck angle required with that specific bridge?  It would seem more of a function of the neck height/pocket depth - but I'm clearly wrong hence my honest question to learn something...

Thanks!

jmasin said:
I have an even stupider :) question.

I'm a strat guy historically so know very little about LPs.

Why is the neck angle required with that specific bridge?  It would seem more of a function of the neck height/pocket depth - but I'm clearly wrong hence my honest question to learn something...

Thanks!

It's all on Warmoth website, if I remember well, but is this: The Tune-o-Matic bridge is higher than the strat's bridge, so it would be like a very high action on the high frets and normal action in the low frets, doing the angled neck, you can make them with the same height all long the neck, catch it?

You could do it by making the pocket shallower instead, but then you'd have a huge bulky joint to wrap your hand around.  Plus I think they wanted to do it like Gibson does it.

That makes sense, I was actually thinking it was angled the OTHER way (as in more relief).  I didn't realized it was angled backward (less relief).  Like I said, I'm a strat guy, right wrong or otherwise, other than a few minutes at Guitar Center I haven't even played Gibson, so, I'm learning.

Cheers.

dbw said:
You could do it by making the pocket shallower instead, but then you'd have a huge bulky joint to wrap your hand around.  Plus I think they wanted to do it like Gibson does it.

Shallower? like lowing it down? ??? :icon_scratch:  Would have to raise the neck... Another solution (already made by W) is make the bridge recessed...

EDIT: And raising it up would not be very nice because would last too few wood to hold the neck properly, IMO

By shallower I mean make the depth of the pocket less.  That would raise the neck.

Edit: btw the recessed TOM kicks ass. :)

Back