Andy Timmons AT-1 & Cruisers

colaiza65

Hello, I am going to build a superstrat soon. Has anyone tried the Andy Timmons setup: DiMarzios AT-1 and Cruisers? It is a sound that I am interested in. My main objective is to get a warm sound from a pickup that also gets good harmonics. I like AT's sound and I like the concept of using the cruisers in the neck and middle. I have another strat with (HSS) a JB, Fast Track and Air Norton and I really like it too. But I am looking for something different. Any thoughts? Any other suggestions? Thx in advance.

I've read the AT-1 is based on the JB, supposedly A. Timmons was using it before he had his signature pickup. I think his pickups are a safe bet if you like the AT sound. I haven't played with them but I think the Cruisers are great pickups. I saw AT live and he had the same sound even though he was playing with a rented Marshall amp. In case you haven't seen it, that's an old clip of a guy with the exact pickup setup (AT-1 & DP187's with 500k pots).

[youtube]https://youtu.be/_vw9rQnUE48[/youtube]

As far as other recommendations there are tons of good pickups these days. Personally I like non trebly pickups in the bridge position, I'm curious about the  SD Full Shred & PATB-1B because they have a fat sound. For single coils I like Suhr pickups, they are a great value and Suhr is almost cheap compared to other boutique brands when it comes to pickups.

I have a Dimarzio Cruiser and I don't like it. It just doesn't have enough power, and still lacks the high-end of a single coil pickup. I prefer the Fast Track 1 for neck position.

Street Avenger said:
I have a Dimarzio Cruiser and I don't like it. It just doesn't have enough power, and still lacks the high-end of a single coil pickup...

You are using the DP186 or DP187? 250k or 500k pots?

Kostas said:
Street Avenger said:
I have a Dimarzio Cruiser and I don't like it. It just doesn't have enough power, and still lacks the high-end of a single coil pickup...

You are using the DP186 or DP187? 250k or 500k pots?
I have the neck model (DP-186 I think).
I always run 500k pots. 
I'll sell it to you for half price including shipping if you want. It's like new. Just doesn't have the output I want.

Street Avenger said:
I have the neck model (DP-186 I think).
I always run 500k pots. 
I'll sell it to you for half price including shipping if you want. It's like new. Just doesn't have the output I want.

Thanks but I have no guitar to put it. Timmons is using the bridge version in middle & neck positions, he prefers it.

Street Avenger said:
I have a Dimarzio Cruiser and I don't like it. It just doesn't have enough power, and still lacks the high-end of a single coil pickup.

If you check the DiMarzio site it shows it's a scooped pickup with lots of highs, have you adjusted the height?

The obvious question about The Cruiser® is “How does it compare to a single-coil sound?” Our feeling is that the unwound strings (“E”, “B”, and “G”) are very close, and the wound strings (“D”, “A”, and low “E”) are a little fatter-sounding than a true single-coil. This is really effective for getting open-sounding chords, because high and low strings sound more spread out from each other. Having a total magnet pull that's about 40% less than standard single-coils also means The Cruiser® can be adjusted much closer to the strings for more power than stock pickups can achieve.

There's so much that goes into the mojo of a sound, I'd say buy them and if don't like them swap them out after experimenting with different amps.

Back