Alternatives to Nitro for Lacquer?

Syntheticocean

In the near future I'll be refinishing the body I'm working on and last time I used Nitrocellulose it yellowed in under 2 years far more than I thought it would over the course of 10 years. I will not use nitro again when I want the color to stay true. Soooo, my problem now is what can I use instead? I was thinking of using Deft, as I have several gallons that I use to refinish furniture, however it does not cure quickly at all.

Help!

Deft Lacquer is said not to yellow of crack.  Takes forever to dry thought.

Also...certain colors show the yellow more.  amber and brown tones not so much.  Blue is the worst....because blue and yellow ==GREEN

I've had good luck with Behlen's and Seagrave's lacquers, but I don't know if they're non-yellowing. My understanding is you need to go to acrylic lacquers to get color stability.

Cagey said:
I've had good luck with Behlen's and Seagrave's lacquers, but I don't know if they're non-yellowing. My understanding is you need to go to acrylic lacquers to get color stability.

All of my Behlens are stable, and they are nitro.
What about Minwax Acrylic Lacquer??  Can you color tone that??

what about StewMac Color tone liquid.  I have used them in behlens  nitro with great success.  Minwax Acrylic?

I've used Colortone pigments/dyes in Behlen's, too. But, I don't know if they'll mix with acrylic lacquer.

I have no intentions of dying the lacquer. The guitar itself will be dyed. I am just going to clear over the dyed body.

Oh. Well, then damn near anything will work. Just be sure it's good and dry/cured before you start with the clearcoats.

Sorry.  I thought you were dying the lacquer too. 

Cagey, what are your thoughts on acrylic lacquer??

I used acrylic (automotive) lacquer for the first few coats of my Bass VI build.  Dried fast.  Clear coated with hardware store acrylic lacquer and have regretted that ever since.
It's taken months to cure, and will still take a crease if you lay it on a cable or something.

All acrylic lacquers are not the same, it seems.

I've used the Minwax acylic lacquer with good results , more durable than nitro , doesn't yellow

Back