alternative to pickguard screws

WindsurfMaui

Before I start I want to apologize I have been away for a while. But now that I am quarantined like everyone else I have been getting back to some stuff.  I searched the website for an answer to this but didn't find anything.

I'm looking for an alternative to pickguard screws for a Strat. Specifically, I want to have pre-assembled pickguards ready to swap into my Strat. I will use plugs rather than solder the ground wire and the output jack so I can just unplug them and make the swap. But I want an alternative to screwing and unscrewing the wood screws. Yes I could use wood inserts and metal screws as a replacement but that would still require the long unscrewing and screwing process. Is there anything that would allow me to lock and unlock a device with half a turn instead of screws. Is there some sort of insert I can screw into the body to remain there permanently and then instead of a screw a screw like item that fits in and locks with a half a turn?

WindsurfMaui said:
Before I start I want to apologize I have been away for a while. But now that I am quarantined like everyone else I have been getting back to some stuff.  I searched the website for an answer to this but didn't find anything.

I'm looking for an alternative to pickguard screws for a Strat. Specifically, I want to have pre-assembled pickguards ready to swap into my Strat. I will use plugs rather than solder the ground wire and the output jack so I can just unplug them and make the swap. But I want an alternative to screwing and unscrewing the wood screws. Yes I could use wood inserts and metal screws as a replacement but that would still require the long unscrewing and screwing process. Is there anything that would allow me to lock and unlock a device with half a turn instead of screws. Is there some sort of insert I can screw into the body to remain there permanently and then instead of a screw a screw like item that fits in and locks with a half a turn?

Nascar uses these;https://www.ebay.com/b/Auto-Performance-Dzus-Fasteners-Parts/107060/bn_55209170

What we do in the theme park industry animatronic, as lot thing need to replace or repair in no time. Do have use a kind of half turn screw you decried, it come from airplane industry to fix aluminium plate but not come in that small for pickguard and very expensive.

Other common part is magnets , but I suspected it would effect pickups magnetic fields?

Other kind is Snap fastener , but need to find way to fix it .

Link is for inspiration on similar kind of work we do :

http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2012/4/27/pirate-animatronic-behind-the-scenes.html

[youtube]L3gE1Zp9Vt8[/youtube]

Also I use quick wire connection on Start pickguard for easy to remove, show in this video :

https://youtu.be/6YhqlxcaLKY?t=1420

I've used those Dzus fasteners on aircraft. Because of the size they would be total overkill for a pickguard. They work fine, though.

How about using an electric screwdriver with those inserts and machine screws? They'd be out and back in quickly and easily.

Another option to explore would be putting some small threaded inserts into the body and attaching the pickguard with machine screws into the inserts. You might find some of a suitable size from a model aircraft supplier possibly.

3 options:-
1) masking tape. I am using masking tape to hold down the pickguard on my Warmoth Thinline until I decide on the exact shape I want.
And until I decide on the exact shape I am not drilling any holes.

2) glue. Choose wisely! Post-it notes came about from a failed attempt to get a really strong glue, they got an easy-peel glue instead.

3) Velcro.

and 4) just do the inserts and use machine screws.

ugly 5) use those little metal clips that are scewed into the wood and rotate. permanent ugliness but will do what you want. Look on the back of an old clock.

Not for nuthin’, but unless you are incorporating a way of getting the pickguard off without removing the strings it hardly seems like the time and labor of removing and reinstalling the pickguard screws will be the biggest factor in a quick change out. Heck, I have to remove the neck to get my Strat pickguard off. Just a consideration.

I like the magnets but the person who used them had a much higher skill level than I.  He used it for the back cover.

After a few decades of incessant monkeying with guitars I'm convinced they should use something like this:
TA8_514278RS.jpg

Magnets and pins (for accurate placement) seem to me to be the way to go for mechanical, but maybe consider Ben Crow's "superglue trick" - a strip of masking tape in several places on the body, a matching strip in each location on the pick guard, and superglue between.

Holds really well, but easy to peel off.

If you were going for a fastener-less look, that would do the trick also.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. These 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn locking systems are used on some cheap furniture assembly. I had hoped they would have something I could use. So I think the wood inserts would probably be best and all I have to do is try to find a screw that is the right thickness but the shortest length.

With locking tuners I thought I could take the strings down pop out the pickguard assembly, pop in the new assembly and then restring the old strings. I think with the quarantine I will have plenty of time to experiment. Thankfully the guitar parts stores are still shipping.    :headbang4:

WindsurfMaui said:
Thankfully the guitar parts stores are still shipping.

I got an e-mail from WD Music early in April saying they were resuming operations as they had been granted "Essential Service" status. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, but it does make one wonder what the criteria are...  :icon_scratch:

I'm wondering if there's a color or two of nail polish that might help shiny screws blendbinbon a tort guard

ActualGenuine said:
consider Ben Crow's "superglue trick" - a strip of masking tape in several places on the body, a matching strip in each location on the pick guard, and superglue between.

Holds really well, but easy to peel off.

Now THAT is a brilliant idea! My task for this afternoon!

I'm not saying this is the case for WD Music, but I know some businesses in my area were deemed essential for economic reasons.

If you aren't open to the public and your employees can work safely, why not?

Back