alright you geniuses....er...genii ?

Volitions Advocate

OK. I need to make a type of A/B box with a 3PDT.
But its input select

2 inputs, 1 output.

I dont want ON/OFF just Input A / Input B, always going to the output and if I can 2 leds of different colors to show me which one I"m using.

I can do this with 1 3pdt right?  if not I have 2 switches....  I suppose the alternative would be input A on/off  and input b on/off ?

Yea, that's dead easy.  I just whipped up a schematic for it.  I'll scan it and fire it to you.

Hey!  I realize I made one of these years ago!  It's in my old pedalboard.  Do ya want photos?

yes... and i'll explain why i need it.

I'm thinking of picking up a GR-20 for my rig. http://www.roland.com/products/en/GR-20/index.html
the divided pup comes included, and something about it I didn't know is that you can plug your guitar's jack into the GK pup as well and send it's own separate signal along the 13 pin with the midi stuff.
the GR-20 has a "guitar out" jack that just feeds your direct guitar signal (as in non Midi PUP) straight through that jack w/o tampering with it.  Its also got a L/R input and L/R output.

So my signal chain goes guitar > Synth (divided pup stops at synth, regular guitar signal bypasses the synth) > GT-10 (multi effects) > GT10 output to GR20 L/R in > GR20 output > amps...

Great setup. theres a switch on the GK pup that lets me choose between Synth pup, Guitar, or a mix.  So i can play with my synth sounds alongside my normal sounds and they work in parallel without interfering with one another.

The problem occurs when I dont feel like playing synth guitar anymore and I want to swap for a conventional guitar w/o a divided pup/13 pin connector.

So i need to make one of these switch boxes to go after the "guitar out" on the GR 20, and make a 2nd input to plug a 1/4 inch cable into for regular everyday guitar.  That way there's only 1 cable to swap, and one button to press with my foot, which is no big deal because I'm switching guitars anyway.

Mayfly's diagram looks good to me :icon_thumright:  I would use a dual-color LED, maybe.  If you are having trouble with it popping, you can try using the third throw of the DP3T to ground whichever signal is not connected.

If you want to be able to split 1 input to 2 outputs, you will want to use the third pole on the switch to mute the unused output by shorting it to ground.

It really doesn't matter if it's just a 2 input/1 output switcher though.

If you use it to switch from 1 input to 2 outputs, popping is not the issue...
The problem would be the "open guitar cable" buzz on the unused output.

Sorry this took so long.  Here's some shots of the A/B pedal.  I used an off-the-shelf Hammond cast aluminum box, some cheap DPDT footswitch I got from somewhere, switchcraft open frame jacks, some bulk leds, and some wire I had lying around.  Power is either with a 9V battery, or by a 9v adapter (attached to the battery clip).  The resistor is soldered to the center post of the top pole of the switch and covered with heatshrink.  The switch works quite well - no need for expensive fulltone stuff in this application.

Here it is:

2963_85966807111_527102111_2507808_4260080_n.jpg

2963_85966812111_527102111_2507809_3767665_n.jpg

2963_85966817111_527102111_2507810_3710748_n.jpg

There ya go - simple!

cool thanks a bunch you guys.

Although I've had about a week to play around with the GR-20 and I dont think I'm going to get it.

The sounds on it are just....  not very useful to me.  Is Axon stuff as good as people say it is i wonder?

Back