Already spending my tax return

dudesweet157

So I've got an amazing Strat and a great humbucker guitar (VIP), the logical course of action is to go after a Tele or P90 guitar next, right?  I'm pretty much sold on a Tele, but what kind do I want?  Do I want an old school twang machine with low output pups and a bigsby, do I want an Esquire with an awesome bridge pickup that kicks butt and never takes prisoners, or do I want to mirror the trend of the forum and build a Thinline with P90's?  I'm pretty sure I want to go hollow/Thinline no matter what for the light weight and resonance (I like to feel the guitar when I play).

Option One
Thinline Swamp Ash body and top
Maple/Maple Neck
Callaham hardware
Dimarzio Area Pickups
Fuchsia Sparkle finish
ClassicTele-1.jpg

Option Two
Thinline Swamp Ash Body
Maple/Rosewood neck
Callaham Hardware
Rio Grande Muy Grande Pickup
Fuchsia Sparkle finish
HotrodEsquire.jpg

Option Three
Thinline Mahogany body
Wenge/Ebony neck
Fralin P90s
Purple Dye finish
P90Thinline.jpg

For those of you wondering, yes I do have a thing for purple guitars.  If everything goes according to plan, this will be my third. :icon_thumright:  So yeah, I want all of them, but which one to a really NEED?  Hmm... :confused4:

GoDrex

I'd find out if they can do a dark purple sparkle - I love purple, but I'm not feelin' the fuscia.

blue313

I'd honestly go with option 3 with Lollars.  It would just barely edge out option 1.  :icon_biggrin:

mindtool

Definitely option 3.  i think the pickguard draws too much attention away from the actual body of the guitar.  option 1 seems to gaudy for my tastes and option 2 looked "empty".

rankings:
1st - option 3
2nd - option 1
3rd - option 2

DocNrock

I'd go option one, but without the Bigsby or the pickguard.  Go for whatever color you like.  For pickups, DiMarzio has a decent selection of single coil tele sized/shaped humbuckers with a range of tonal options.  Have the neck pup routed strat sized for greater options.

I built mine with a Tone Zone T in the bridge for a "take no prisoners" approach, and the neck is a Strat sized Seymour Hot Rails neck. 

Perhaps the Bigsby might be a cool option, after all.  Nah, I'd give it a Floyd.  :headbang1:

Patrick from Davis

I would go for the Lollars in the G&L ASAT Special pickup format with the bigsby.  P-90s and the bigsby, and I am a sucker for that particular model

ASAT-SPECIAL_Blonde_full.jpg

Pickguard optional.
Patrick

mullyman

My favorite color is purple but oddly enough I usually gravitate towards red guitars. I never even noticed it until one day my wife, girlfriend at the time, said "next time you buy a guitar buy something other than red." I was like "WTF?" but when I turned and looked at my wall I had 5 red guitars hanging there. I never even realized that all my guitars were red.
MULLY
I have cherry burst now

dudesweet157

You guys are hilarious, but seriously.  Each guitar I designed is the way it is for a reason.  I really only "need" option 1 or 3, so lets kill off number 2.  I have other guitars that do the heavy rock thing quite well.  As for the color choice, when it all comes down to it, I like a plum purple more than a violet purple.
DavidJazzGig-1.jpg

Like this one^^^

Pickups are pretty much locked in, I like the Areas, love the Fralins, but really, they're two totally different sounds.  I want the Areas for cluck and spank and that glorious twang!  I was planning on going for underwound Fralins if I went that route.  I really like low output pickups.  They've just got more personality and presence than their overwound counterparts (with some exceptions).  I also prefer to get my distortion by crankin' the sucker up for power tube saturation than hitting the preamp hard.  It's just a better sound to me.

So yeah, option 3 is looking really good right about now...

line6man

IMO:
1. Option 2
2. Option 1
3. Option 3

But i usually have opposite taste from most people in guitars...

kboman

Option one! Option one! Three is not nearly gaudy enough and two is automatically disqualified by only having a bridge pickup.

NonsenseTele

N°2 with Maple board...

Any pickup you want, as long as you ask for "P90 under tele size" :laughing7:
probably everybody know the company I would suggest... I'm really interested in compare my guitar with a '52 alike tele, to be able to tell how it sounds... it's my first guitar, but I can play Motörhead, Black Sabbath and stuff like that if I want...

vtpcnk

not sure if this information would be helpful - but an option other than a tele : but the j mascis jazzmaster comes in purple. apparently you can squeeze regular p90s into the existing pickup covers.