All Wenge VIP

llmtelecaster said:
Holy Crap!! Two things...

1. That guitar is stunning!

2. Please tell me you have a link to a wiring diagram you used. I'm building an LP with P-90's, 2 pots, and a 3-way switch and have no clue how to wire it since most LP diagrams are for 4 pots and a 3-way switch.

Seems to me the components are essentially the same as a tele:  two single coils, two pots, 3-way switch.  So sub in a standard tele diagram.  Any of you electrical engineers wanna back me up?

Bagman

bagman67 said:
Seems to me the components are essentially the same as a tele:  two single coils, two pots, 3-way switch.  So sub in a standard tele diagram.  Any of you electrical engineers wanna back me up?

I'm an engineer, and that's what I'd do. Just sub 500k pots for the 250k pots typical for a tele.

Damon said:
bagman67 said:

I'm an engineer, and that's what I'd do. Just sub 500k pots for the 250k pots typical for a tele.

Don't forget that he has a toggle and not a blade switch, might get confusing trying to convert it in your head. Actually I tried a tele wiring first, but there were differences on which arm the cap should sit on the tone pot. On the tele diagram it was supposed to be on the left arm (if they are pointing up), but that didn't work so I tried a humbucker diagram (convertred the p90s instead of the switch) and everything was the same except that the cap was supposed to sit on the middle arm instead. I don't know how the pots look (and work) on inside, but I can definitely get that the middle and outer arms should be the opposites.
Anyways I've made him a diagram now that is exactly like the way I wired my guitar, so I hope it work for him.

Fidde was kind enough to send me a great wiring diagram for how to wire something like this. After looking at it, it is very similar to the tele wiring.  Fidde, you da man!

Also, I can't wait for the sound clips of this baby!

This is an exceptional build, classy in every one, one can never have too much wood character in their axe.
Curious, what's she weigh in at?

Hi everyone!

Haven't been on the forum for quite some time now. Some of you wanted sound clips, but i still have no recording gear at home.
But here is my bands new album, and my guitar is mostly in the left speaker. Also I'm the singer.
Hope you like it!  :icon_biggrin:

screwhead.bandcamp.com

Wow! When you said it sounded "woody" I was expecting kinda "smooth jazz" bluesy noodling - that sounds a bit more "woody-like-forest-fire" instead. Cool song, though - I think I dated that girl's sister. Do NOT "loan" her your bank card.... :laughing3:

Well, it really is "smooth jazz" woody when played clean on neck pickup, very much so. But on the song "I Can't Drink All That, I'm Not Even Thirsty" I use my D*A*M Drag'n'fly fuzz, so things sound a bit more like a forest fire  :icon_thumright:

Neck position is very jazz-y, round warm and thick. Middle is well balanced and quite scooped (in comparison, but the wenge still pounds out a ton of mids). Bridge is narly and sharp without being "shrilled", if that makes any sense  :icon_biggrin:

Hey Fiddle, can you tell us a little about the sound of this all wenge hollow body VIP?

Not just plugged in, but also unplugged.
I've heard wenge has "howling".acoustic properties and I was thinking about a baritone conversion.

DustyCat said:
Hey Fiddle, can you tell us a little about the sound of this all wenge hollow body VIP?

Not just plugged in, but also unplugged.
I've heard wenge has "howling".acoustic properties and I was thinking about a baritone conversion.

Haven't been on the website for ages it feels like (studying hard at the moment, no extra space in my brain to remember.. ehm.. anything really)

To answer your question, very resonating wood indeed. Even with no strings on, you can slap the body with your thumb and hear "notes".
Unplugged it sounds fantastic. I've found lately that i like the acoustic sound more than through the pickups. I think the P-90's lack of treble, combined with the wenges very round top end, can make the sound a bit dull sometimes. (Mostly had this problem with certain fuzz pedals though, and I love my fuzzes so so much).

But to describe the sound in words:
Full bodied, live, woody, mellow, dark and angry, as if passive aggressive and ready to explode.

It doesn't break into "acoustic distortion" (I'm not sure how to describe it better) as easily as most acoustic guitars, but when it does it sounds amazing.
And also I don't worry at all when I beat the sh*t of the guitar, coz it's so robust. I dropped it on our tile floor bout 6 months ago, split two tiles - no ding on the guitar, which I think is weird, but im happy (my folks were not as happy)  :glasses9:

I'd absolutely try a baritone conversion if I had the money and time to "risk" it.

To sum it up, I'm really happy with the guitar overall, BUT my next guitar will have more top end, just to make sure that I never lack it. As some very wise people have said over and over on this forum; It's harder to boost top that isn't there than to cut some. So keep that in mind before building a guitar like this.

Cheers! Rock on! :headbang:

Fidde said:
But to describe the sound in words:
Full bodied, live, woody, mellow, dark and angry, as if passive aggressive and ready to explode.
To sum it up, I'm really happy with the guitar overall, BUT my next guitar will have more top end, just to make sure that I never lack it. As some very wise people have said over and over on this forum; It's harder to boost top that isn't there than to cut some. So keep that in mind before building a guitar like this.

Cheers! Rock on! :headbang:

tHEN WHAT IS IT not? ha haha lmao

oops Caps!

I know sometimes my own Mahogany w/maple top VIP emi hollowbody needs proper coaxing of notes from the highest register. Sometimes if I dont hit them "just right" well...there's always next time.

I cant wait to get some more money!!! Baritone Hollowbody (Ghostrider) Z it is!!! :toothy10:

Actually this is not too far from what I had in mind. But maybe steel string maybe nylon IDK  :dontknow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfLo-1Sjkr8

I am all about the harmonics...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4S33FUeR3c&feature=endscreen&NR=1  :guitarplayer2:

I think an acoustic wenge will sound more full and darker, and not as "nice". Crude, but in a good way. (This compared to the first clip)
Actually, the guitar in the second clip is quite bright. It's a dreadnought, and they are usually full bottom and very bright top (less midrange). I think a wenge dreadnaught could have a great top roll off, but i think the bottom end would be too much and make it terrible for recording, as in almost impossible to capture the sound of the guitar. Even just regular dreadnoughts are hard to record "properly". Most recordings with Martin d-28 and such, have the bottom end cut out of the recording, since it can sound very boomy. It's mostly low mids that sound boomy (in my ears), and I think a wenge dreadnought would have too much of it to be honest.
I would rather go for a grand auditorium with wenge back and sides, with a much brighter sounding wood for the top, fretboard and bridge. For the neck I would definitely choose wenge, as to me, it's the most comfortable wood to play on, period!
Wenge has tons of overtones. As I said before, you can even hear "notes" when just banging the wood itself, and it resonates fantastically. So harmonics will sound great.

I think an acoustic guitar with wenge would sound old (as in aged, not broken), from the start. I think so because thats how I felt about the acoustic sound from my vip wenge when I got it.

Would be best if you talked to an actual professional on the subject, because I have gained my "knowledge" through my own trail and error and just a few actual experiences. Most things I know have I gathered from the internet and tried to merge with my own experiences.

Anyway, good luck with your build, whatever you end up going for! I'm sure it's gonna be a fun ride!  :rock-on:

Back