All Wenge VIP

Fidde

So this is my finished guitar. It's my second Warmoth build and it is by far the "best" sounding guitar I've ever played. (By best I mean that it suits my needs perfectly, way better than I had hoped)
It's an all Wenge VIP with Wenge neck and Ebony fretboard. Semi-hollow body with cream binding. The neck has a wolfgang profile which I think is really nice, can't describe it more than that the neck
just sits in your hand in a way that my other guitars' don't, makes other guitars feel uncomfortable in a way, hehe.

As you can tell by the picture below, it's a very woody guitar. The sound is also very woody, full-bodied with great presence, rounded top end and a huge midrange, which is the sound I was going for,
but it was much much better than I had expected. The enormous amount of midrange almost makes the guitar sound LOW-FI, like an am-radio, but all the detail is still there which gives it an amazing character.

The pickups are Harmonic Design VP-90s and since I've never tried them before I can only tell you how they work with this guitar. They translate the acoustics of the guitar very well and have lot's of detail.
Touch sensitive (extremely so for having such high output) and bold, lots of balls, though that might come from the guitar itself.

Since the guitar has emphasis on certain mid frequencies, that few other guitars and instruments have, it sits very well in the mix in a full band situation. I know this by how much better everything sounds when
our band is rehearsing and playing live. A few weeks ago we had a gig/competition in a place we have played a few times before, and afterwards some people in the audience even commented on this and said that
we had a lot better live sound than we usually do and also much better than the other bands (which eliminated that factor that the sound guys could have done much better work this time)

The wenge looks quite bright here, almost beige, but that's from the wood reflecting the sun (I'm not much of a photographer...)
The ebony fretboard is light gray in the picture, when it's in fact jet black. So try to imagine how the color of the wenge would be with that in mind :icon_biggrin:
2daalif.jpg

I'll upload better pictures later when I have time. If you have any questions about the guitar or anything else feel free to ask. I want to put up some sound samples, but I don't have any recording gear at home at the moment. Later I will.

Hope you like the guitar

Rock on!  :headbang:

Fidde, that is one beauty of a VIP :glasses9:  I love the binding with the P-90's and wish that I could hear it live.
Gotta love that wenge...

:rock-on:

When the teeming masses finally discover my true worth and I become a gazillionaire, I'm just going to go through the exotic-wood selection at Warmoth and order one of each. Starting with the "W's"....

Holy Crap!! Two things...

1. That guitar is stunning!

2. Please tell me you have a link to a wiring diagram you used. I'm building an LP with P-90's, 2 pots, and a 3-way switch and have no clue how to wire it since most LP diagrams are for 4 pots and a 3-way switch.

I'm not sure Cracker is the proper description of a wenge/ebony guitar. Perhaps for an an all maple one. Sweet guitar though. Such purty woods.

Personally I think I'd keep anything with the word "crack" in it away from any wood-based product... :hello2:

Whoa, this is one beautiful guitar you have built.  :icon_thumright:

I bet all that wenge gives it one almighty *snap* in the midrange! Curious about the weight too, must be a heavy one?

Thanks for all the awesome replies! You guys just made my day, coz it's been kind of crap, but now I'm all happy again!  :hello2:

Black Dog said:
Fidde, that is one beauty of a VIP :glasses9:  I love the binding with the P-90's and wish that I could hear it live.
Gotta love that wenge...

:rock-on:

The 7th of May I'll be playing in the finals of a contest with my band and it will be professionally shot and mixed, so when the dvd comes out I can show you some clips of the guitar in live action!

llmtelecaster said:
Holy Crap!! Two things...

1. That guitar is stunning!

2. Please tell me you have a link to a wiring diagram you used. I'm building an LP with P-90's, 2 pots, and a 3-way switch and have no clue how to wire it since most LP diagrams are for 4 pots and a 3-way switch.

Ye it was a real mess to get it right, though I had a broken volume-pot which made it all worse, since I thought everything had gone crazy due to my wiring. Btw, is it a 3-way blade switch or a 3-way toggle? I'll pm you when I've made a diagram!

And for the weight it's not that bad really, sure she is heavy, but not much heavier than my first Warmoth which is a Swamp Ash Jazzmaster with Maple top and neck. If it had been solid it would have been a pain, but she is quite gentle on my shoulders, really. I guess it weighs similar to a regular bass guitar.

Cheers!  :icon_biggrin:

Fidde said:
Ye it was a real mess to get it right, though I had a broken volume-pot which made it all worse, since I thought everything had gone crazy due to my wiring. Btw, is it a 3-way blade switch or a 3-way toggle? I'll pm you when I've made a diagram!

It's a 3-way toggle. And thanks, I'd appreciate that!

well done good sir.

i would like to use this as one more reason why Warmoth needs to offer bound f-holes

dNA said:
well done good sir.

i would like to use this as one more reason why Warmoth needs to offer bound f-holes

I was considering painting the inside edges (and a tad over the edge on the top) to make it look like bound f-holes, but then I made a rough picture of it in photoshop and it only made the guitar look less woody and somewhat plastic. So I decided to keep it just as it is. I like the natural look of the guitar  :icon_smile:

Fidde said:
I was considering painting the inside edges (and a tad over the edge on the top) to make it look like bound f-holes, but then I made a rough picture of it in photoshop and it only made the guitar look less woody and somewhat plastic. So I decided to keep it just as it is. I like the natural look of the guitar  :icon_smile:

yeah i can definitely see that. point well made

Back