All Walnut LPS

greywolf

I've started my new project , and with the help of some bonus money from my "real" job have picked up more tools ( new Dewalt sander / and Dewalt hand planer) both make the work go so much faster. 

Body : Warmoth Walnut LPS , with Nothwest timber AAAA Claro Walnut cap (3/8")

Neck : Carvin 24 fret Walnut neck through with Ebony fretboard and 6130 frets , diamond paua abalone markers

Pickups : Neck: TV Jones Classic (filtertron, wood mount)  Bridge TV Jones Classic Plus  both with Gold covers.

Tailpiece  Schroeder stop tail -gold

Body / Neck planed down to accept Claro cap , neck heel reshaped to fit the body and re contoured for comfort.

The body has been relieved to reduced weight , Walnut is HEAVY!  Trying a new approach this time sort of a honeycomb rather than big chambers as I've done in the past.

Coming along nicely .

Attachments

• Abalone diamonds.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 18
pickups , neck planed/ reshaped heel , weight relief

While I like and have used Warmoth necks , I prefer neck through designs , despite the extra effort.

I have been using Carvin necks for 14 years , they fit my hand better and are no more expensive , the abalone on this one and the neck grain is stunning .

Attachments

• filter-tron-gold.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 2012-09-10_09-15-14_390.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 2012-09-12_17-34-33_890.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 25
Wow! You don't see LPSs like that every day!

Get right down to it, I don't think I've ever seen one like that.

I'm curious: perhaps this has been explained elsewhere, but if you're doing a neck through with a Carvin neck, why bother getting a Warmoth body instead of a walnut blank?  You've clearly got the skills & tools to cut the body yourself, so why chop up a bolt on body to make a neck through?

Regardless, the result is looking pretty damn cool!

I usually get 1 of each body type as a template, any subsequent versions are done from a blank
I hadn't done an LPS before.
In this case  I wanted all walnut and finding good walnut Billets is tougher and no big cost savings as most are the more highly figured stuff.
The 4/4 claro top was $175 , luckily I'll get 2 out of it.
I have them all pretty well covered now  LP , LPS, Strat, Tele, SG ,WGD, ES 339, J bass , G4 bass.

I make templates from the custom carved ones as well .

I did some searching and did find a couple of sources for resonably priced walnut ( and other)  blanks , my old friends at Bow River Woods up in BC, BYO guitar and Gallery hardwoods

Gilmer woods carries several but haven't seen any walnut..

It would be nice if Warmoth offered more than Ash , Alder and Mahogany ( although arguably they are the most popular)

Finished book matching the 1" thick Claro Walnut  ( whew ! by hand)  and rough cutting the top ,

It is starting to look like something special!

Nice.
Please take your time with that.  I do not want to compete against it for guitar of the month.  My EVH should be wrapping up around Halloween.  I hate watching nitro cure.

I started the build essentially to sell it , but I may use it as a demo . It has sparked more interest than anything I've built in 15 years

Decided to go ahead and chamber the body ,  my new Dremel Trio makes it  a snap with the router attachment

greywolf said:
Decided to go ahead and chamber the body ,  my new Dremel Trio makes it  a snap with the router attachment

Sounds like a good way to burn up a Dremel motor. They're not really designed for that kind of duty. Even a trim router would be better, but for chambering I'd like a full-tilt boogie unit. Some guys have been known to use Forstner bits to hog the thing out until the remaining routing duty is minimized, but I don't even like that. Forstner bits are expensive; you don't want to overheat them or put a million miles on them. A good 1/2" carbide mortising bit in a real router is the way to teach that wood a lesson. The tool will laugh at the work, and the work will quickly bend to your will.

It's a Dremel Trio , they are much beefier than the small 4000 series . No problem at all. cut it like butter

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=6800

Ok... but if you start to smell something, back off or be prepared to replace it. I know it's a beefier unit, but it ain't no router unless you're talking about doll houses or model train layouts.

As it will cut sheet metal , I'm not the least bit concerned .  I had pre drilled a honey comb into the area already .

I've used dremels for over 35 years , as long as you don't abuse them they are quite durable .  My last one lasted 15 , and I used it on everything from sheet brass to wood .

Back