All things DIY

Tweed

Not just guitars!

stompers: http://buildyourownclone.com/index.html

amps: www.ax84.com

woohoo

I am working on a High Octane right now.  I got all of the upgrades (octal, vari bias, punched chassis, and upgraded tranny) and it is a lot of fun to mess with.  Here are some pictures I took when I was bored...  It is a great thing to play with.  Lets you know all about the parts of the amp, and what parts go with what types of music styles.  Well if you want to read enough.  Just watch out for that electricity thing, enough to kill ya...
Patrick

AX84 is a great site.  It's been a while since I've thought about it.  I started building a P1 a few years ago with my Dad, but we never finished it.  The little quirks and things that can go wrong in a project like that will drive you nuts.  I remember that while soldering the ceramic sockets that solder was flowing down into the contacts, and not knowing it until we tried to put the tubes in to see if the heater wiring was working.

Oh great. That does it.  I'm going to have to stop hanging out here.  One more thing to obsess over and throw money at!  I mean thanks for the great links, and my wife and kids will thank you too when there is no food in the house, but I tell them to listen to my incredible tone! :icon_biggrin:

guitlouie said:
Oh great. That does it.  I'm going to have to stop hanging out here.  One more thing to obsess over and throw money at!  I mean thanks for the great links, and my wife and kids will thank you too when there is no food in the house, but I tell them to listen to my incredible tone! :icon_biggrin:
Or you could go my route and have no money in the first place.

Yeah, I gotta tell you guys, I am extremely interested in this stuff.  I HAVE to know how stuff works, it's a bit of a compulsion.  The best way to figure out How It Works, is to make it yourself.  Then you try to figure out how it can be done better!  Seriously that BYC site has a Rat clone, I miss my Rat...stolen.  I could very easily go get another, but now that I know these guys are out there, I think I will build it myself, besides they include in their kit the most popular mods that are usually done to the Rat pedal, so it is like spending money to save money, if you know what I mean!

I strongly recommend BYOC i'm a keen DIY'er when it comes to stompboxes. Their forum is also extremely friendly and helpful.

Phrygian said:
Building a little tube amp is much cheaper than building a guitar.

Cool. always fancied building myself a little 5 watt practice valve amp. I just hate solid state tone, even at home.

Yeah, and there is a long weekend coming up.  Wire, check.  Solder, check.  Kit, check.  Unbridled insanity, check.  Digital camera for progress, check.  Looking pretty good according to the list.  I'll add picts as I get them.  Whenever it's appropriate, I'll add links to sound clips.
Patrick

i cant wait.

i just wish they made bass pedals i could use a good wah wah, and a tube distortion.

i like how they mod every thing, if i was more into guitar i'd take them up on that 4 for 3 sale.

Phrygian said:
Building a little tube amp is much cheaper than building a guitar.

I should have said it's cheaper in parts.  There are are a number of required tools.

I have been drooling over a RMC-3 wah for a while now.  It would be cool to see what sort of mods they have to get close to that one.  It looks like it can be configured to work on a bass as well as a guitar, but I am not sure.  I have not really been looking into bass effects that closely.  But the byoc wah kit looks very enticing.  More things to spend money on...
Patrick

Back