All Ebony Neck

Perry Combover

No doubt the tele-ites have all seen the ebony necks in the showcase.  I'm considering one for my next build, but I can't help but think that they would be destined for a nose dive, especially being bolted onto a chambered body.  Also, maybe a little too bright? 

Someone, please, talk me into it.

Perry Combover said:

It's ebony! Did that do it?

:icon_biggrin:

You'll be the envy of the neighborhood!

PS: I don't know how it'll sound... I'm curious too.

Perry Combover said:
No doubt the tele-ites have all seen the ebony necks in the showcase.  I'm considering one for my next build, but I can't help but think that they would be destined for a nose dive, especially being bolted onto a chambered body.  Also, maybe a little too bright? 

Use lightweight tuners (hipshot ultralites?).  Screw your strap button to the platform where the neck bolts on, instead of the upper bout.  Use darker pickups.  Bore out a hole in the solid lumber south of the bridge and fill it with molten lead.  You can do this, so....

DO EEEEET!

I have to believe that it is smooth as silk and feels amazing.  My FSR Strat has an ebony fretboard with no markers and it is out-of-control good.  I can only imagine an entire neck... :guitaristgif:

I don't know how heavy those Ebony necks are, but Teles are a little like Strats in their ability to forgive more weight on that end. Having the neck-side strap peg mounted as far forward (toward the peghead) as it is allows that. There's no body weight forward of the front peg, and some of the neck weight (including the mounting plate and screws) is behind it.

My last Tele body was quite light at 3lbs 4oz, and has an Aframosia "Pro" neck with Schaller Mini-Lockers on it that weighs 2lbs. No dive, or even any predilection for it.

So, yeah. You should be whipping out your credit card and asking it for some help carrying one those Ebony Tele necks home.

Hey, how are they doing those necks for $550? Seems relatively cheap.

Past that, though, wouldn't a full ebony neck on a tele result in bleeding eardrums? I know what my tele sounds like when I don't choke the treble on my amp down to 1, I can't imagine what a solid chunk of ebony would do....

Paul-less said:
Hey, how are they doing those necks for $550? Seems relatively cheap.

Past that, though, wouldn't a full ebony neck on a tele result in bleeding eardrums? I know what my tele sounds like when I don't choke the treble on my amp down to 1, I can't imagine what a solid chunk of ebony would do....

It does seem like they should cost more, just going by what a premium it is to get an Ebony fretboard.

As to sound, I doubt it's any brighter than Maple/Pau Ferro/Canary/etc., but its density would mean you have sustain for days. I think that icepick-in-the-ear sound you get from some guitars is a combination of nonexistent low end and mild mids, which means there's nothing to temper the overall spectrum, and perhaps some high frequency distortion. Both of those things are due more the pickup's design and mounting than any subtractions or allowances by the neck/body wood. I know my Teles don't suffer from it at all, but I don't use traditional Tele pickups or mounting schemes. One of them even has a Kingwood over Canary neck mounted to a Maple over Ash body, all of which are very hard woods. You would think that would be bright as the sun, but it's not. It's quite rich, actually.

They are bright and heavy, I have two.  Yes, they promote neck dive, they are friggin dense wood.  But mine hold at the horizon.  They are very bright and articulate.  They do not really match with alnico II magnet pickups that are not over wound.  They work well with fuzz pedals.  They work well with mahogany.  Just know what you are getting into and plan accordingly.
Patrick

Fire_Dye_Tele_Macassar_Ebony_Neck-Small.jpg

Just to be clear, brighter does not mean more of an icepick sound.  The "icepick" sound is actually quite defineable.  It is the range where the human eardrum resonates, typically around 3000-4000 Hz.  If you are in that icepick zone, you can make things brighter and above the 4000Hz range, which is where you hear the term "airy" and "bell-like".

Patrick from Davis said:
They are bright and heavy, I have two.  Yes, they promote neck dive, they are friggin dense wood.  But mine hold at the horizon.  They are very bright and articulate.  They do not really match with alnico II magnet pickups that are not over wound.  They work well with fuzz pedals.  They work well with mahogany.  Just know what you are getting into and plan accordingly.
Patrick

I bumped into Terry Pratchett the other day. He loves just down the road from me. Nice chap.

Patrick from Davis said:
Patrick

Behold, you've got the VALNØTT. Sorry, couldn't resist.  :)

crash said:
Just to be clear, brighter does not mean more of an icepick sound.  The "icepick" sound is actually quite defineable.  It is the range where the human eardrum resonates, typically around 3000-4000 Hz.  If you are in that icepick zone, you can make things brighter and above the 4000Hz range, which is where you hear the term "airy" and "bell-like".

Cool. I have a '59 roundback goncalo/goncalo strat neck on a chambered mahogany/maple body, and have a slight neck dive issue (Gotoh 510 tuners). I am working on a metal control cavity cover in order to weigh the body down a bit.  :icon_biggrin:

Back