Alice Cooper Going Touring?

Cagey

Mythical Status
I see ol' Vince is gonna make the rounds again. The guy is 70 years old! Is it just me, or does trying to hit 23 cities in a little over a month, work your ass off in each one, and live to tell the tale sound more than a little ambitious? I mean, in a previous life, I was one of those "thousand mile experts" that traveled extensively and I wouldn't have tried a schedule like that on a bad bet. And that's when I was young and fulla piss and vinegar. Today? I can't imagine how much you'd have to pay me just to travel that much, let alone work along the way.

In any event, I wish him the best of luck. Hope it doesn't kill him.

Well, he's been clean and sober for awhile - so that should help with the road dog lifestyle.

No doubt. But, still. Even if you've been clean and sober your whole life, mainlining spinach and carrots even when nobody's looking, at 70 years old you gotta be a bit creaky. Hell, I'm only pushing 59 and I'd rather take a beating that try on a workload like that.

I've just finished Claptons' book, and he said he had trouble bouncing back from the jet lag once he hit 60. He didn't want to tour anymore, and hated flying in America. He preferred to travel on his yacht if all possible.

AirCap said:
I've just finished Claptons' book, and he said he had trouble bouncing back from the jet lag once he hit 60. He didn't want to tour anymore, and hated flying in America. He preferred to travel on his yacht if all possible.
Well you introduce "yacht" into the equation and who wouldn't mind touring, regardless.

Just saw Uriah Heep two weeks ago they are still going. They keep a schedule of around 200 dates a year and they are in the same age group. They do it because they love it. It is a job for them but it is something that they love to do otherwise they would not be any good at it. If it were me I like to travel but I would do fewer dates and have a long tour see something while out there.

I have a friend who caught Paul McCartney's tour recently.

Claimed it was close to three hours long. (that would be 10X the length of the typical Beatlemania era concert) And his voice holds out the whole show.
I know Lennon found Paul's crowd-pleasing to be grating, but all evidence shows it to be sincere and natural.

I just looked it up. The "typical" McCartney set list in 2017 (Paul is now 75) is 39 songs. I am sure many of them are set into medleys, but that is tremendously impressive.

Same with his tour that I saw in 2002 (Back in the U.S. Tour).  My first concert, actually.  He was very entertaining, and not just with the music.  He told jokes and stories between songs like he was carrying on a conversation with a friend.  Absolutely amazing.

I also got to see his 2002 USA tour. He has that natural way of pulling an audience in. It was possibly the best concert I've attended.

Thats awesome he can still tour and do what he loves.

I saw him in 1999 on the "Life and Crimes Tour" he did. Best concert I have been to.

You are right he does work very hard.

I went to see Silver Apples last year, in a relatively small venue, 300/400 (?) capacity, 79 year old Simeon must really love touring, because I can't believe he's making the sort of money to cover the flights, accommodation, getting those huge err.. whatever it he plays, shipped over etc.

Here he is, back in the day, 2014...

[youtube]w6-Ez3ICt4g[/youtube]

club.gif

Good grief. I saw Alice Cooper on his first tour after getting clean. A high school buddy and I drove 300 miles to see him and just happened to end up right in front of the stage. Good show and the songs from that particular album after he cleaned up really resonated with me. Good to see he remains connected to working and has the health to take to the road. I know just about the last thing I'll do at this point is get up at 5 AM to get on a plane.
I know he'd done a lot of good, mentoring musicians who want to get clean.

Back