alder and humbucker

vtpcnk said:
till date i think i have owned around 12 guitars.

5 gibsons, 2 fenders, 2 washburns, 2 warmoth, 1 epiphone elitist etc (acoustics not included).

but currently i have only 4 of them (rest were sold off through ebay, craigslist etc).

but i have not owned/played a guitar with a combination of alder/humbucker.

though i had tried one of my friends jackson some years back (if the body was alder). but don't remember it now.

for long i had avoided the tele - for reasons i'm not sure myself.

but last weekend at the guitar center in nyc i checked out the tele with 2 humbuckers and a belly cut - it was so comfortable to play and it felt so unbelievably natural.

so that has only strengthened my desire to own a tele.

I stand corrected.

OK, so you played an alder tele with humbuckers.  Finally, got that out of your system ...  feels better that you know for sure if you like it, so  just build it!!!!!!!!

>OK, so you played an alder tele with humbuckers.  Finally, got that out of your system ...  feels better that you know for sure if you like it, so  >just build it!!!!!!!!

is life that simple?

btw if you note my previous post i did not comment on the sound of the tele - i merely noted that it handled very comfortably.

frankly i was not greatly impressed by the sound of the dual humbucking tele i played at the guitar center.

but again this tele has fender wide range humbuckers which i understand is quite a different specie from regular humbuckers.

so there are still question marks in this issue.

also one can't help but look at other options (swamp ash etc) - especially with a custom shop like warmoth.

but apparently G&L did a limited series a few years back on a custom tele model (with seymour duncan seth lover humbucker in the neck and texas special in the bridge) using both alder and swamp ash. so that news was atleast encouraging.

if i didn't have concerns about grain filling etc i think i would go for swamp ash as i love the resonance of my swamp ash jazzmaster - way more than my alder strat.

When I was kid, way back in the 80's, we were given a shop class, where we learned about woodworking, and I have to tell you, grain filling is not brain surgery.

Life is as complicated as you make it.

Back