Alabama Jammer?,............. Really Gibson?!?,.............Really?!?!?

I like that Richie looks suitably narked at having to play that.

Inform a non-American; is there some connection betwene Alabama and stars? Because usually the star inlays are a Richie thing, but he isn't from Alabama. So I don't know why he would have a guitar that was just his (i.e. with star inlays) that was shaped like Alabama. And I cna't figure out why Gibson would make an Alabama-shaped guitar and then put Richie's stars on it. Texas, I'd get the stars. Alabama, not so much.

But yeah as others have pointed out this isn't actually a new concept. Gibson (and others) have done guitars shaped like states and countries before. Hell, this is no more stupid than those guitars shaped like AK-47s or penises. I think Gibson get a lot of unfair flak for their crazy designs, when they're not the only ones doing this sort of thing. At least with this one you can see a kind of logic behind it, it's clearly to be either played at some special event in Alabama or to be hung on the wall of some proud Alabamian (?). When someone makes a guitar in the shape of a fish, that's what I think deserves the finger-pointing and name-calling.

At the least, it's not as bad as Epiphone's caravan-shaped guitar, nor is it as shameless as the Jaguar-themed Strat that Fender put out a few years ago for £15,000 a pop.

I for one take a lot of pleasure in watching Gibson systematically destroy its own reputation. they're a company that's dominated the market on the staying power of their name for way too long, rather than competing on the quality of their products. if they don't put themselves under first, they're eventually going to force themselves to start playing on everyone else's level.

ledzepplin6914 said:
well i cant say this is surprising, i mean Gibson making a rediciulous guitar? never  :icon_jokercolor:

A lot of folks thought the 58 Explorer, V and Moderne as ridiculous too....back then....

I think a number of larger manufacturers do 'concept' and 'theme' guitars for the hell of it...Fender Playboy Strat e.g.

Another from 1985...
ED2041.jpg

Actually they could do one for every state - like quarters?
Just an idea.....
Unknown.jpg

Marlyand and Michigan will be problematic. Not to mention Hawaii

Death by Uberschall said:
DangerousR6 said:
PT said:
Actually they could do one for every state - like quarters?
Just an idea.....
Unknown.jpg
Well Texas and Alabama is already in the books, 48 more to go.... :laughing7:

Well that does give Gibson reason to build 48 more guitars.  :icon_jokercolor:

Like the 2007 GOTW I reckon.

I am convinced everyone who works in the creative and management portions of the Gibson company are drunk every day.  There is no other explanation.  Axes like that are the guitar equivalent of getting a ridiculous tattoo during spring break.

What is the Sambora/Alabama connection anyway?  I thought he was a Jersey Boy.  FWIW, Gibson will make anything you want for a price.  His bad taste isn't necessarily a reflection of Gibson's R&D department.  For the most part we're Warmoth fanboys and girl, and there's a few of them I wouldn't want to be seen with.  And....anyone else think an LP looks like Africa? 

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
What is the Sambora/Alabama connection anyway?  I thought he was a Jersey Boy.  FWIW, Gibson will make anything you want for a price.  His bad taste isn't necessarily a reflection of Gibson's R&D department.  For the most part we're Warmoth fanboys and girl, and there's a few of them I wouldn't want to be seen with.  And....anyone else think an LP looks like Africa?  

http://www.yearofalabamamusic.com/alabama-jammer

http://www.facebook.com/search.php?q=alabama+jammer&init=quick&tas=0.5988875635060836#!/AlabamaMusic

Many artist played that guitar.  :sad:

ORCRiST said:
Street Avenger said:
Richie's signature ESP guitar is ugly as hell too.

+1

Yeah, that thing looks retarded... stick with strats Richie...
Ahem. I happen to own one and am having a much higher-quality copy made as we speak. I really like it, it's like Brian May's guitar only with more balls to it.

Ace Flibble said:
ORCRiST said:
Street Avenger said:
Richie's signature ESP guitar is ugly as hell too.

+1

Yeah, that thing looks retarded... stick with strats Richie...
Ahem. I happen to own one and am having a much higher-quality copy made as we speak. I really like it, it's like Brian May's guitar only with more balls to it.

:dontknow:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
What is the Sambora/Alabama connection anyway?  I thought he was a Jersey Boy.

Zakk Wylde & Bruce Springsteen asked them to leave a few years back

Back