Ah Shucks! Did I order the wrong Tuners?

Maka491

I think I have ordered the wrong tuners.

I have a right hand reversed W strat neck but I ordered 6 left tuners (as would be on a standard strat headstock). Have ordered the wrong schallers?

Here is the Warmoth page and by looking at the tele headstock there, I think I have. Darn.

http://www.warmoth.com/Tuning-Machines-C205.aspx

Maka491 said:
I think I have ordered the wrong tuners.

I have a right hand reversed W strat neck but I ordered 6 left tuners (as would be on a standard strat headstock). Have ordered the wrong schallers?

Here is the Warmoth page and by looking at the tele headstock there, I think I have. Darn.

http://www.warmoth.com/Tuning-Machines-C205.aspx

In all fairness, I don't think it really matters. Only thing is that the screw will be on the right, looking at them, rather than the left. Maybe some of the gurus around here can shoot me down on that, which is welcomed if I'm wrong.
MULLY

I think you ordered the correct ones. I usually don't refer to them as "Left" & "Right" unless they are going on both sides of the headstock (like an LP).

I just call them "inline".

Technically, I think you did.  In order for the peg to be on the body side of the gear, you would want ti use the "right" ones as your neck is, essentially, an upside down left handed neck.

I think they're ok, especially after reading the last reply. The neck is essentially a lefty turned upside down so tuners for a lefty would keep it accurate. The knob turns both ways and the gears have no idea if the screw that is holding them onto the head is on the right side or the left.
MULLY

mullyman said:
I think they're ok, especially after reading the last reply. The neck is essentially a lefty turned upside down so tuners for a lefty would keep it accurate. The knob turns both ways and the gears have no idea if the screw that is holding them onto the head is on the right side or the left.
MULLY

He has the tuners for a right handed guitar, and the neck is, technically, left handed. It won't effect the functionality of the tuners, but they won't look "right" either.

Pelagaard said:
mullyman said:
MULLY

He has the tuners for a right handed guitar, and the neck is, technically, left handed. It won't effect the functionality of the tuners, but they won't look "right" either.

I had the image reversed in my head.
MULLY

Mully might be right. I put two tuners in (without screwing the nuts in) just to see and I dont think it would be that different.

My other concern however is if the positioning of the pegs (right of the barrel rather than left of the barrel) is correct. So if the turn the pegs in the clockwise fashion away from me to wind/tune would be correct?

If tuner gears turn either way with no effect on them, then I am probably OK. I know this is OK with a proper left handed guitar as I have a full left handed strat setup for Hendrix style right hand playing but that one has vintage type tuners.

Have I confused you even more?  :icon_scratch:

Maka491 said:
Mully might be right. I put two tuners in (without screwing the nuts in) just to see and I dont think it would be that different.

My other concern however is if the positioning of the pegs (right of the barrel rather than left of the barrel) is correct. So if the turn the pegs in the clockwise fashion away from me to wind/tune would be correct?

If tuner gears turn either way with no effect on them, then I am probably OK. I know this is OK with a proper left handed guitar as I have a full left handed strat setup for Hendrix style right hand playing but that one has vintage type tuners.

Have I confused you even more?  :icon_scratch:

Oh yeah, that was my main point in all of this. Regardless of which ones you have, they will turn both ways with zero problems. The guitar, the strings, the bridge etc..., none of those parts know that the barrel is to the right or to the left. And you would turn it the exact same way to tune and de-tune regardless. If you've got them reversed you won't have to turn the keys in reverse to tune it.
MULLY

There's a handy picture describing exactly what 'right' and 'left' are at http://www.warmoth.com/Tuning-Machines-C205.aspx
The Almighty Warmoth Website said:
Tips For Ordering
Left = left side of the peghead
Right = right side of the peghead

Back