Agile 3100 Clips

Superlizard

Here's the geetar; last clip is pure wanking.  No EQ, slight compression.

AL-3100CSBF02.jpg

Gear
====

Agile 3100
|
MI Audio Crunchbox
|
MXR Carbon Copy
|
'66 Fender Deluxe
|
Beyer M160+Shure SM57
|
DAW

===

Interstate Love Song:
http://streamer2.soundclick.com/jarry_DL/21/06/vipdownload/lizardpie+agile3100csbfils.mp3

I Need A Lover:
http://streamer2.soundclick.com/jarry_DL/20/01/vipdownload/lizardpie+agile3100csbfinal.mp3

Parisienne Walkways:
http://streamer2.soundclick.com/jarry_DL/29/04/vipdownload/lizardpie+agile3100csbfpw.mp3

The Lemon Song:
http://streamer2.soundclick.com/jarry_DL/20/05/vipdownload/lizardpie+agile3100csbftls.mp3

Wank:
http://streamer2.soundclick.com/jarry_DL/35/01/vipdownload/lizardpie+agile3100csbfwank.mp3

Agile, it must be french

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJSmmbmJCLw&feature=related

Are those the stock p'ups?

Also, do me a favor and give me your M160, okay?  :icon_jokercolor:

Alfang said:
Agile, it must be french

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJSmmbmJCLw&feature=related

If that's the movie I think it is... careful or you'll shoot your eye out!  :icon_jokercolor:

jalane said:

Also, do me a favor and give me your M160, okay?   :icon_jokercolor:

Yep stock pups... my custom winds should be here any day now (A2 magnets).

I was shocked myself when I first plugged in and played - the stock pups are pretty good.

Give you my M160?  Ah, noo, dude.  :icon_thumright:

Superlizard said:
Give you my M160?  Ah, noo, dude.   :icon_thumright:
:icon_jokercolor:

One of these days i'd love to acquire a nice collection of ribbons.  I'm thinking a Royer r121, a pair of Coles 4038s, and an M160 + M130 would pretty much rule.  Of course, given the fact that most of the recording i do these days is for shitty emo-metal bands, i'd probably never want to take them out of their cases. 

jalane said:
Superlizard said:
:icon_jokercolor:

One of these days i'd love to acquire a nice collection of ribbons.  I'm thinking a Royer r121, a pair of Coles 4038s, and an M160 + M130 would pretty much rule.  Of course, given the fact that most of the recording i do these days is for shitety emo-metal bands, i'd probably never want to take them out of their cases. 

The M160 rawks cuz you can put it in front of a screamin' amp without worry.  Well, maybe not a cranked 100 watter, but you get the picture.

I put mine 6" from the cone.

Superlizard said:
jalane said:

Also, do me a favor and give me your M160, okay?   :icon_jokercolor:

Yep stock pups... my custom winds should be here any day now (A2 magnets).

I was shocked myself when I first plugged in and played - the stock pups are pretty good.

What pickups are ya puttin' in that geetar? 

Black Dog said:
What pickups are ya puttin' in that geetar?

1st step is ordering up some custom pickups from fellow board member (another board, that is) friend Jeff.

www.highorderpickups.com

Gonna have him wind me up what I call "The Lizardbucker"; bridge & neck:

- left handed
- asymmetric wind
- 50mm spacing
- zebra coils
  - black bobbin (adjustable poles)
  - cream/ivory bobbin (slugs)
- AlNiCo 2 magnets
- 42 gauge, plain enamel wire
- 4-conductor (for splitting etc)
- Bridge DC Ohms:  ~ 8.1k
- Neck DC Ohms: ~ 7.2k
- unpotted
- Nickel covers (polished)
- extra "magic smoke" LOL

They're essentially old-school PAF clones.

Sounds kinda harsh. If I didn't know any better, I'd accuse those pickups of being ceramics. Doesn't sound like my 3000 did at all. Although, to be fair, I never recorded that guitar, so it's tough to say. Also, it's unlikely we use the same amps/speakers.

Cagey said:
Sounds kinda harsh. If I didn't know any better, I'd accuse those pickups of being ceramics. Doesn't sound like my 3000 did at all. Although, to be fair, I never recorded that guitar, so it's tough to say. Also, it's unlikely we use the same amps/speakers.

Interesting - what amp/speaker did/do you play through?

The recorded tone is straight off the mics with no EQ whatsoever and a skoosh of compression.

I decided to keep it pure so people would get an accurate example instead of a gussied-up example.

Superlizard said:
what amp/speaker did/do you play through?

I played all the samples through an ASUS Xonar Essence STX into a set of Sennheiser HD250 headphones. No EQ, nothing. What you put down is what I got, although you did knock it down to an MP3. I didn't check the specs on your clips to find the bit rate, etc., but that whole compression algorithm is known to be kukka when reproducing material using accurate equipment. I usually use FLAC (lossless), and if it needs to be tighter than that then OGG/Vorbis (lossy, but accurate). MP3s are for phones or pocket players, where fidelity isn't critical and distortion is either tolerable or unnoticeable because the source is dirty to begin with. For instance, there's little point in recording Black Sabbath at the highest bit rates to the least lossy format. The originals aren't any good to begin with.

Cagey said:
Superlizard said:
what amp/speaker did/do you play through?

I played all the samples through an ASUS Xonar Essence STX into a set of Sennheiser HD250 headphones. No EQ, nothing. What you put down is what I got, although you did knock it down to an MP3. I didn't check the specs on your clips to find the bit rate, etc., but that whole compression algorithm is known to be kukka when reproducing material using accurate equipment. I usually use FLAC (lossless), and if it needs to be tighter than that then OGG/Vorbis (lossy, but accurate). MP3s are for phones or pocket players, where fidelity isn't critical and distortion is either tolerable or unnoticeable because the source is dirty to begin with. For instance, there's little point in recording Black Sabbath at the highest bit rates to the least lossy format. The originals aren't any good to begin with.

No, I meant what amp/speaker did you play your 3000 guitar through?

Bit rate on clips is 320kbps... however Soundclick does do something funny whenst encoding, and unless you download
straight from link or play the "hi-fi" version you're getting less-than-optimal.  Keep in mind this is a '66 Fender Deluxe (all-
original including Oxford speaker)... normally I would tweak the EQ a hair for optimal results in a recording because the
Deluxe does have a "bite".

Superlizard said:
No, I meant what amp/speaker did you play your 3000 guitar through?

I'm sorry; I misunderstood what you were asking.

I played my 3000 through a number of different situations. Most often, I ran it through a V-amp Pro modeller into a Carvin VT-100 power amp (12AX7s and EL34s). That fed a variety of cabinets. I have a 112 with a WGS "Veteran 30", which is their answer to a Celestion "Vintage 30", and another 112 with a WGS "British Lead", which is their answer to a Celestion "Classic Lead". I also ran that same rig into a Bugera 412 with their house speakers, I don't know what they are. I had a couple Bugera V55s here for a while, and played through those. Very nice amps, incidentally. Recommend them to anyone. Then I played the thing through one of my brother's Marshall JCM 2000s - this one being a 50 watt 112 combo with some sort of Celestion, and through another Marshall JVM something-or-other, I don't remember the model. 50 watt 212 combo, anyway. Can't remember which speakers in that, either. I don't write this stuff down <grin>

Anyway, the guitar always sounded excellent. Made all that equipment happy, Happy, HAPPY! The only combination I didn't care for was the modeller into the "Veteran 30". It sounded somewhat harsh and edgy. But, it was to be expected. That's a small voice coil speaker that was running at its design limits. A 'metal head' probably would have thought it was wonderful, but that's not me.

Ha but seriously, want to throw those up in a different format? I don't care too much for DLing stuff...

Back