advice on buying a used cab?

dbw

Master Member
Stupid question from a newbie to the head/cab setup:

I'm driving to Milwaukee on Saturday to check out a used Marshall 1960B cab.  Problem is, I don't really know what to check out!  Obviously I will plug it in and see if it works.  What else should I look for?  What sort of (non-cosmetic) damage might a cab have?  Should I try it at all 3 impedances or is that silly?

Thanks!

The problem with buying a used cab is that you might be getting a used wooden box, with speakers well past their best.
When you try the cab, turn up quite loud, turn all the treble off on you guitar and amp, and play notes on the bass E string.
E, F, F# ,G etc
If you get a "farting" sound on one of the notes, then one or more of the drivers is probably beyond hope.  :sad1:

IMHO it's best to buy a new cab if you can...

Are Celestion speaker expensive in th USA?
In the UK, proper ones (Greenbacks) are about £50 each ($100).

Take care - you might need 4!

The cab is relatively new and looks to be well taken care of from the pictures.  I'll try what you suggest, Funky Phil.  Should I also ask to look inside?

Only to check that it's got the right speakers in...if you trust the seller, then don't bother (there are lots of screws!)

dbw said:
Should I also ask to look inside?

I would, just to verify that it has the correct speakers, not some bargain bin replacements.

I trust the seller as much as I trust any stranger I meet on Craigslist.  I think I'll open it up.

While you have it apart - bang both sides from the inside.  No rattles or things that sound like split wood.  Turn it on one side, do the same to the top and bottom (which are now the "sides").  No rattles or thigns that sound like split wood.  Check the lip at the front to make sure its not cracked.  Look for signs of water damage.  Drop damage (ie bent casters etc).

More than likely its in good shape - as Marshall cabinets are really well made.  As long as the speakers are all matched and ORIGINAL type you should be ok.  If you see four Radio Shack speakers in it... ya know... they're matched and not right.  Ditto if you see four low end SIca or even low end Eminence etc.

Those cabs have come with several different speakers, but I believe the 1960b now comes with the G70H (or M) speaker.  Could be the 65, 70, or 80 series though.  If you luck out it might have the G30H's in it.

Ditto everyone else's suggestions, PLUS, pull cab panel and visually inspect speakers/cones for any damage/cracking/tears. The speakers that currently come in these cabs run about $100/ea + shipping on the 'net. What does the seller want? New 1960a/B units run $799 + shipping; used ones can be found on eBay/Craigslist/locally for around $500 in real good shape, less with trashed cosmetics. Extrapolate those numbers for relative worth of the cab you're checking out. If going to Milwaukee; stop by the Guitar Center there; if they have clean used 1960A/B taken for trade you can usually work them for $450-500 as they don't give any more credit than that and always want to kick trade-in gear out the store ASAP.

Dont the grills come off the 1960s?  So you dont have to pull the frames to get to see the cones?

-CB- said:
Dont the grills come off the 1960s?  So you dont have to pull the frames to get to see the cones?

Probably. I'm not personally sure as haven't been in market for a long time; point is ALWAYS visually inspect speakers, 1960B's get sold for 3 reasons:

1.) Need some cash
2.) Tired of lugging this monster and don't play in venues large enough to require 8 12 inch speakers, will keep slant 1960A cab as it looks cooler
3.) There's some issue with cab/speakers

Jack, you are my hero.  On my way home from work, as I drove past the Guitar Center as I do every day, I heard your voice echo mystically in my head: "...stop by the Guitar Center there; if they have clean used 1960A/B taken for trade you can usually work them for $450-500 as they don't give any more credit than that..."

So I stopped by the Guitar Center, and look what was staring me in the face:

2217131851_c740d72fb6.jpg

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Recto!

$100 cheaper than the Marshall was and it sounds great so far.  I'll wait until Saturday to really blow the roof off.  Again, thanks Jack, my lord and savior!!

Score!  I have had a Mesa head for about nine years, and I bought it second hand, and one thing I can attest to is that their stuff is bullet-proof.  I doubt you will have a problem with that there cab....

Nice head there, carvin V3 :headbang1:

dbw said:
Jack, you are my hero.  On my way home from work, as I drove past the Guitar Center as I do every day, I heard your voice echo mystically in my head: "...stop by the Guitar Center there; if they have clean used 1960A/B taken for trade you can usually work them for $450-500 as they don't give any more credit than that..."

So I stopped by the Guitar Center, and look what was staring me in the face:

2217131851_c740d72fb6.jpg

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Recto!

$100 cheaper than the Marshall was and it sounds great so far.  I'll wait until Saturday to really blow the roof off.  Again, thanks Jack, my lord and savior!!

:toothy11:  Thanks!  I'm very happy with it, and I've always seen it get great reviews, but everyone I tell I have a Carvin V3 says "What's that?  That's solid state, right?"

Yea, I also have a V3 that I plug into a Boogie 2x12. it's killer, Sounds way better than any 4x12 i've ever heard. Even my Orange 4x12..... :sad1:

Back