Aaron making switch to banjo

S

Spud

Is this rumor true? That you are going to banjo full time? Hootenanny strap and all?!!

Come on now.

You are being culturally insensitive to us transplanted southerners.

BBQ, sweet tea, all things mayonnaise, flip flops.....yes

Hayseeds, overalls, banjos, and questionable family relations? That's where we draw the line, at least in florida and Georgia.

You can find that kinda stuff in Alabama and Kentucky. :cool:

Come on now.

You are being culturally insensitive to us transplanted southerners.

BBQ, sweet tea, all things mayonnaise, flip flops.....yes

Hayseeds, overalls, banjos, and questionable family relations? That's where we draw the line, at least in florida and Georgia.

You can find that kinda stuff in Alabama and Kentucky. :cool:
I like all that stuff too! Powers out here for 4 hrs so far, hell I may get me a banjo!

I like all that stuff too! Powers out here for 4 hrs so far, hell I may get me a banjo!

No power again?

Get the rodents spinning that wheel!

Wait a sec.......the first list or the second?

Please don't say you like the questionable family relations!

Banjos 🪕 Rock

That's a 6-string banjo tuned to standard E guitar tuning (4ths).

I would love to see him on a 5-string tuned to more traditional G (5ths). I don't think it would give him any problems, but would interested to see if it opens up new patterns around the different chord and scale shapes.

I grew up in southern California and had a neighbor who was an amazing banjo player.

I mean, it was cool, but I couldn't help but notice the lack of chicks in his vicinity. If he had dedicated the same amount of time to guitar though... :ROFLMAO:

After living in Georgia for a year now I'm happy to report that I still don't own a banjo.

I did have a neat experience at Gruhn's Guitars in Nashville a few months ago though. Because I work for Warmoth I got to go up to the "secret" 2nd floor where all the high dollar stuff is. By chance I rode the elevator up w/ Vince Gill (name dropped just for fun), and there were a couple guys up there evaluating a quartet of mandolins probably worth tens of thousands of dollars each.

What surprised me where the number of banjos up there. LOTS of them, in lots of weird configurations I had not seen before.

I think the popularity of the banjo in the US has run a course similar to that of the circus clown. Both were popular once, but now the only time you see them is in scary movies.

It's not hard to find banjo music if you follow bluegrass, which I generally do in very small doses.

I got nothin against banjos. Because my sister started out on guitar, I picked the banjo to be different, then found it was hard to sing along with the banjo, then, a year later switched to the bass, that lasted about 3 months, again hard to sing along with the bass, but made my sister look good, then switched to guitar, wanted to be outfront because that's where the girls are (was 15 at the time) ... keep getting tempted by the mandolin, violin and uke, but thus far, 40+ years later I've successfully resisted.

PS Had a similar experience with basses at Gage's basses in NYC, but with that, at least when I went you gave them a months notice and then they took you upstairs ... got to play basses more expensive than my house. They let me touch, but not play bootsie collin's bass. Put my hand on it, and sucked up as much mojo as I could.

Last edited:
banjo can be pretty chill. hard to top foggy mountain breakdown when it comes to virtuosic banjo shredcore, earl Scruggs was truly ahead of his time. my grandpappy used to spin that 45 all the time when i was young.

when i was staying at his house once and I was quite young i saw both Fright Night (1985, 106 minutes) and The Hunger (1983, 97 minutes) and become extremely afraid of vamps (short for vampires). I even stole the powered garlic from his pantry and secretly carried it around in my jacket inside pocket for several years. I would take it with me everywhere and if someone seemed kinda sus i would discreetly sprinkle them with some to see if they were a dracula.

in retrospect (that means when you reflect on something that happened a long time ago) it seems slightly silly. like, can u imagine being at the arcade or a movie theatre minding ur own business and getting straight up *seasoned* by some mulatto kid with an abnormally large head?

to this day i associate foggy mountain breakdown blasting from down the hall at 108 dB with stephen geoffreys getting a crucifix burned into his forehead. but in like a good way.

banjo can be pretty chill. hard to top foggy mountain breakdown when it comes to virtuosic banjo shredcore, earl Scruggs was truly ahead of his time. my grandpappy used to spin that 45 all the time when i was young.

when i was staying at his house once and I was quite young i saw both Fright Night (1985, 106 minutes) and The Hunger (1983, 97 minutes) and become extremely afraid of vamps (short for vampires). I even stole the powered garlic from his pantry and secretly carried it around in my jacket inside pocket for several years. I would take it with me everywhere and if someone seemed kinda sus i would discreetly sprinkle them with some to see if they were a dracula.

in retrospect (that means when you reflect on something that happened a long time ago) it seems slightly silly. like, can u imagine being at the arcade or a movie theatre minding ur own business and getting straight up *seasoned* by some mulatto kid with an abnormally large head?

to this day i associate foggy mountain breakdown blasting from down the hall at 108 dB with stephen geoffreys getting a crucifix burned into his forehead. but in like a good way.

I'm confused.

Is "sus" short for susceptible? Suspenders? Sustenance?

Or are you talking about, like, and Asus4 chord?

Without some kind of further elucidation I'm not really sure what to make of all this.

I'm confused.

Is "sus" short for susceptible? Suspenders? Sustenance?

Or are you talking about, like, and Asus4 chord?

Without some kind of further elucidation I'm not really sure what to make of all this.
lmao doth my nuggs bequeath me or is that a solid joke from the Double A? haha, yeah guess I coulda added my trademark™ (short for 'suspicious') after that one, tho I truly didn't think gen z had a stranglehold on "sus". language is weird. Like, check this: is love the verb or object in the sentence we call life? makes u think

lmao doth my nuggs bequeath me or is that a solid joke from the Double A? haha, yeah guess I coulda added my trademark™ (short for 'suspicious') after that one, tho I truly didn't think gen z had a stranglehold on "sus". language is weird. Like, check this: is love the verb or object in the sentence we call life? makes u think
Suspended I guess.

Back