AA and AAA Neck Woods and Fretboards

Ramblify

Hi,
Does anyone know about AA and AAA Neck Woods and Fretboards? What does that mean besides high grade - what makes a high grade wood or cut? How much does this cost?

It is just used to distinguish grain patterns as being more appealing or figured. The more As there are the better the perceived quality.

However one company's version of AAA may be another's AA. So the terms are somewhat subjective and relative. You also come across terms like AAAAA or museum grade.

I have one flame roasted maple neck that is pretty amazing that isn't even one of the high grade options but I am still curious about ordering one as a custom build. Anyone remember the amazing fluke of a mahogany neck Aaron shared on youtube a couple of years ago? Absolute beauty with amazing flame, and it was mahogany.

musicispeace said:
I have one flame roasted maple neck that is pretty amazing that isn't even one of the high grade options but I am still curious about ordering one as a custom build. Anyone remember the amazing fluke of a mahogany neck Aaron shared on youtube a couple of years ago? Absolute beauty with amazing flame, and it was mahogany.

Yes, I remember that flame mahogany stuff. I even got approval from "the bank" :) to purchase, but decided against it. Wood is extraordinary. I only wish cocobolo wasn't such vile stuff to work with as the beauty inherent in it is quite amazing.

The more letters the better.  The prs website had a good explanation about flame maple tops and how they have three grades with best having bands going fully across the top.

Remember .... What you think is pretty will differ from from what others think.

monchavo said:
musicispeace said:

Yes, I remember that flame mahogany stuff. I even got approval from "the bank" :) to purchase, but decided against it. Wood is extraordinary. I only wish cocobolo wasn't such vile stuff to work with as the beauty inherent in it is quite amazing.

Ah, I love cocobolo. I have it as a fret board on one strat. Someone in the forum has an all cocobolo neck. I'd love to have one!

Back