A Warmoth virgin no longer...

KaiserSoze

Yeah I know, we've all been there.  Got GAS and the next step is to build our own.  We've tried or bought everything out there so the only undiscovered country is the land of DIY.

So heres my first attempt, the Karla Custom:  Maple/Bubinga neck, 6105 SS frets, standard thin (meh), compound radius (bleah).  I used Sperzels because I always do.
Body is chambered mahogany with the F-hole and a flame maple top.  Did the finish myself because I've never done it before so why not now?
Electronics I did myself with components from RS guitarworks and some things I had around.  Basically made it a 7-way with TBX and modded the TBX so it isn't so harsh.  The pickups are actually a Tonerider Classic Blues set that I got for about $100 and that are really nice.
Hardware is a Callaham strat hardtail bridge and the pickguard is from Warmoth.  I've since changed the knobs from the cheesy gold ones in the pics to standard white strat knobs.

The finish is really simple.  I did a bit of danish oil for more warmth and then about 10 coats of clear spray lacquer with the required sanding.  I made the choice to not fill the mahogany and am really pleased that I didn't.  It looks more organic that way and I like that I can see the grain.  A purist might disagree but this is MY guitar.  My next will be a mahogany non-chambered body, rear routed and a colored lacquer with no filler.

The Bubinga board doesnt need any finish but I do oil it and it has a great look.  The back of the neck has a few coats of lacquer lightly sanded to a satin feel.  The feel of bubinga is about the same as rosewood but I wont pretend that I could possibly detect what the "tone" would be.  (I'm really tired of that word)

How does it sound you say?  My first thought is "very responsive".  I'm going to have to become a much better player because my every mistake leaps out at you.  The body is very resonant and sensitive with very complex sounds, even on a single note.  The best sounding guitar I've played for cleans, and I've owned dozens.  I've got 11s on it and it sustains for days.  The quality of the Warmoth parts is awesome.

My dislikes are my own fault.  I'm not a fan of the thin neck and the compound radius is giving me fits with the setup.  I'm far from a newbie for setups but I can't seem to find the "happy place" on this one.

So thats my first and not my last.   I can see that this is going to cost me....  

smallk4.jpg

smallk2.jpg

small3.jpg

smallk.jpg

Good looking strat there. Yeah, compound radius can be different to set up, from what I've heard. I also know what you mean about the neck back.

Karla-caster? Is there another lady here?

No, the Karla Custom is an homage to my gf, whose beauty far outshines that of the guitar. 

It looks great, but I don't know what you mean about compound radius and setup. What about compound radius makes a setup harder, exactly? Perhaps it needs some fret leveling and you're pinning that on the radius.

Thats certainly possible and probably true but any levelling it needs is very minor.  Specifically it seems like I can't get any consistency with the action at the areas of the neck where I spend the most time.  Its hard to describe but it seems that I get the action at the middle of the board set right and the higher registers on the B and E strings is buzzy.  Adding relief and they are not buzzy but the action on the middle strings is too high.  Wierd stuff like that.  I'm just giving myself some time to fine tune things and get used to it.  I do have one other suspicion though........my neck is haunted..

That just sounds like you've got some high spots on some high frets. Some warmoths need fretwork more than others. But you're probably right, it's the haunting not the fretwork.  :evil4:
Welcome to the hardtail strat cult btw.

Hardtail Starts!!!!!!!  Nice one

Has anyone pointed out yet that there is another board member with the name Keyser Soze?  Just asking.  I get confused easily.

From the title of the thread, I didn't know what to I think, especially if there's a hardtail and F-hole involved.  I play my Warmoths.

Super dooper nice build. 

Wow, that's a sexy flame top......

Regards the setup, I suggest you to plek the guitar......

I plekked my warmoth some days ago and the difference is incredibile, both in sound and playability. The guitar scream in every position of the neck, also on the upper register bending note like a mad.

With the plek machine you can also reshape the fret to a difference radius.

Thanks all.  Hardtail is the way to go, for me anyway.  If I get motivated at some point I will get the frets looked at by someone better than me.  Can you Plek a compound radius neck?  Thats one smart machine.

Compound radius is just not a big deal - if your tech can't work on it with hand tools, he doesn't know enough to deserve his job.

Back