A very hard choice

Bruno

With 677Euro I could buy a new Charvel San Dimas PRO MOD STYLE 1HH
(NB: made in japain with added SKB hard case vs San DImas made in USA)
Specifications: alder body, one-piece maple neck, 22 Jumbo frets, scale: 648 mm, Nut width: 43 mm, Mini Rotomatic Grover machine heads, recessed Floyd Rose FRT-O2000 Double Locking tremolo, pickups: Seymour Duncan JB TB4 Humb bridge, Seymour Duncan '59 Humb neck,  3-way-toggle, 1x master volume control, chrom hardware, color: black, incl rectangular molded SKB case

Where is the doubt?
Right ... I wanted to assemble a guitar (body and neck by Warmoth) virtually identical to this one (some little change: wilkinson vs100 and sperzel or schaller tuner machine).
But using the same materials (wood and hardware) I spend more with warmoth parts and separate hardware!
In addition I have to assemble...

I do not argue about the quality I am quite sure that the wood used by Warmoth are much higher than those used by Charvel, but the savings are substantial ...

You, what would you do?

warmoth all the way, ofcourse. For that guitar, I'd choose a nice flametop to go, a padouk neck, ebony fingerboard, and that alone makes warmoth worth while.

Yes, warmoth is the best but there is a substantial economic difference.
I do my estimates some time and often fall below 1000Euro  (~ 1360$)

Hey I'm all for Warmoth - but Charvel makes some badass stuff. If it fits what you want, I say go for it. Warmoth will
always be here for when you want that one-off custom.

My $.02

ORC

you are asking on a Warmoth forum and wondering what the answer will be?
I bet if you go to a Charvel forum you get a different answer

To me, the advantages of building your own are:

1. Fancier, more beautiful or exotic woods and finishes.
2. Getting exactly what you want.

So if you're not looking at fancy woods, and you can buy a stock guitar with (more or less) the exact components you want, I don't see anything wrong with buying a stock guitar.

Having said that, I like my Warmoths better than almost any of my other guitars/basses.

Jusatele said:
you are asking on a Warmoth forum and wondering what the answer will be?
I bet if you go to a Charvel forum you get a different answer

I think people are smart enough **to understand** a simply question and answer not only as fans...

I assembled several guitars.
I'm not afraid, on the contrary I really enjoy doing this.
But, as I wrote several times to the forum, what I seek *now* is a guitar *functional and easy*, alder body & maple neck with 2 humbuckers, a good bridge/tuners and... stop.
Nothing exotic or esoteric wood :p (I already have assembled a Reb Beach replica with Koa, Mahogany and Pauferro)

More *X* in the side of Charvel.... ok but I can't think of the quality Warmoth and the joy of the assembled a guitar.
When I want to make a replica of the 2 color sunburst Schecter strat Knopfler's ... well, I will have no doubt (as to the reb beach!!!).
But this motherfu... Charvel... 
It has everything I need.

Ugh, it's regrettable to have doubts  :icon_scratch:

What always tips me toward Warmoth (or Carvin for that matter) is the stainless steel frets. If I could get those on some of the other brands, maybe I'd consider them, but I'll never own another guitar without stainless. The way I play, I'd be having a fret job done every couple of years.

donw said:
What always tips me toward Warmoth (or Carvin for that matter) is the stainless steel frets. If I could get those on some of the other brands, maybe I'd consider them, but I'll never own another guitar without stainless. The way I play, I'd be having a fret job done every couple of years.

+1,000

Even if they didn't last longer, they just feel so much better. The gold ones are the same way.

Back