a question for the sunbursters

ramonet

I'm in the finishing steps of my new Project: a set neck Tele with 24 3/4" neck. I've grain filled the mahogany and dyied the body with Vintage Amber Colortone. I want to put a black burst on the edges and I'm thinking to do it with black dye using a domestic aerograph, is this ok?. I have no spray gun so I think this can be the best way. The first idea was to do it with black nitro in rattle can, but i made a mistake and ordered normal paint (not in spray can). The other way can be apply a nitro clear coat (I have cans for this) and use the black nitro paint in the aerograph. I f I go this way, I must thin the black nitro to flow properly with the aerograph?.
Sugestions are really welcome (and needed!!!). I include a pic of the guitar.

Attachments

• IMAG0039.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 292
When you say aerograph you are talking about an airbrush right?

If so, then yes that is an acceptable way to do it, assuming you have experience using an airbrush.

That said, you will be better off using standard airbrush (acrylic) paint rather than shooting dye through the airbrush because it will be much easier to correct any mistakes.

I would start with a coat of dewaxed shellac over your dye, then shoot airbrush paint over that.. if you mess up its simple to wipe off the shellac and acrylic with alcohol or any other solvent.    If you mess up when using dye you have to sand it back, much more of a pain in the rear.

Back