A Potentially Groovy Jazzmaster

Perry Combover

I finally have all of my parts, so the chicanery may now commence. 

From the Just Out of the Box thread here:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=21901.0

It certainly does look that way Mully.  You have good taste.

So, what is that dark square you have on that pickguard?

He already told the story, but it's been a couple years.

It's electrical tape. It covers a pothole. it's become a trademark. Why he doesn't just order pickguards drilled the way he wants them is anybody's guess  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
He already told the story, but it's been a couple years.

It's electrical tape. It covers a pothole. it's become a trademark. Why he doesn't just order pickguards drilled the way he wants them is anybody's guess  :laughing7:

Ha! Ok, well I almost did the same thing until I realized that I could just drill my own holes when I got it.  W sent the pg with only pickup cut outs.  Love being able to customize, especially since this one is packed with p rails and Graph Tech Ghosts.  I didn't want a dashboard of controls, but I still needed more than usual.

Well, to be fair, not everyone is comfortable with a drill motor, or even owns one. Nothing wrong with that. Plus, Mully lives in Japan. He may not have as easy (or practical) access to some things as some of us do. Not that Japan is a backward country - far from it - but that doesn't mean they have the same kind of access to things. Most of us don't realize how spoiled we are here in the US.

I've seen Mully's work and it is top notch.  I think sometimes we do things out of habit and keep going even when we don't have to.  Maybe that could be the case.

I still take the time to score the surface of all my picks for better grip even though they make all kinds of easy grip picks nowadays.

It's mully tape 99% MOAR tone than regular silver duct tape!

Ahem... Great build, and as I saw in the other thread congrats on the new baby  :eek:ccasion14:

The tape just covers up the hole.  I've done the same with white electrical tape on a white guard.  It's almost invisible.  IIRC, the upside down Warmoth logo was on accident, though caught in time, and stuck with, and repeated on other builds.  To some they may seem like cheap buttons on nice suits, but these bits endear them to us.

Perry, you mentioned P-rails, but in your pic, they look like Phat-Cats... Which ones are goin' in? -Either would be great looking (even if the 'rails are black or white),  but your switches might not have anything to switch if ya go with the Cats; single conductor lead wires don't offer many circuit options...

-Just curious.

Yeah, I should have taken the protective plastic off the pickups before the photo.  Now that I am taking a closer look, I can see that the glare totally obscures them.  They are indeed p rails (black).

SolomonHelsing said:
It's mully tape 99% MOAR tone than regular silver duct tape!

Ahem... Great build, and as I saw in the other thread congrats on the new baby  :eek:ccasion14:

Thanks Solomon.  He is the reason for the delay in the build, but I really can't think of a better reason to hold off on a build.  :icon_thumright:

Onto the pics...

I think I mentioned in a previous post that this is a more complicated electronic configuration than I would like, but on paper it doesn't look so bad.  I really don't like the look of Ghost piezo wires running from the saddles underneath the pickguard, so I drilled through the bridge.  I didn't want to do it, but the guy I took it to wanted $100 to drill 6 holes.  Screw that.

Then I wired the pg.  It took me forever to position the Acousti-phonic pre where it needed to be.  More on that later.  Anyway, 4 pots (my first attempt at wiring stacked pots) 2 vol, 1 tone (for the p rails) and 1 piezo vol.

Perry Combover said:
Then I wired the pg.  It took me forever to position the Acousti-phonic pre where it needed to be.  More on that later.  Anyway, 4 pots (my first attempt at wiring stacked pots) 2 vol, 1 tone (for the p rails) and 1 piezo vol.

This is going to be such a versital instrument, you'll never need to build another one!  :icon_jokercolor:

Yeah, the glare had me fooled into thinkin' "nickel covers", then (after my post, of course), I checked your JUST OUT OF THE BOX thread, and the pics show them to totally be Black cover 'rails. Oh well.  :doh:

Seriously, though, this is gonna be one bad-a** machine! -Ooops! I think I'm having some GAS!  :laughing7:

Back