A gaggle of Gecko 5 basses (medium)

Every once in a while I see something that makes me wish I played bass.  These are definitely among those!  :icon_thumright:

Incredible looking guitars you have there, I want MORE PICS.

NonsenseTele said:
Think I need some pics of each bass alone! :p

Ask and you shall receive.  :)

IMG_0479.JPG

Mahogany + Indian rosewood, Indian rosewood +Wenge, Ebony, Lane Poor

IMG_0481.JPG

Mahogany + Makorie, Bubinga + Purpleheart, Bloodwood, Bartolini

IMG_0482.JPG

Mahogany + Canary, Canary + Purpleheart, Macassar Ebony, Villex

IMG_0484.JPG

Koa + Flamed Koa, Maple + Purpleheart, Ebony, Seymour Duncan

IMG_0487.JPG

Mahogany + Figured Walnut + Maple pinstripe, Wenge + Bubinga, Pau Ferro, Delano

IMG_0490.JPG

Purpleheart, Purpleheart + Wenge, Purpleheart, SGD

Most of these came straight from the showcase with little or no customization from me.  The fretted neck was a custom order, because it was originally intended to go on the Canary body.  :)

Wana's made a guitar said:
Are we staring at about 7- 8000 bucks there?

I try not to think of it that way.  I've probably spent closer to $6000 in total, since some of the basses and parts were good deals on eBay.  And I know I probably wouldn't get nearly that much in resale value.

There is a finish on the Rosewood one??? I remember this Walnut body some time ago on Showcase, amazing figure, but I wish to know WHO asked for the MM + Pbass route, this just killed it to me... if was a single MM perhaps it would be mine :)

kboman said:
Makorie top + bloodwood fingerboard = perfection.

I agree.  I was amazed at how well these woods looked together.  I haven't seen very many Makorie tops in the Showcase.

NonsenseTele said:
There is a finish on the Rosewood one??? I remember this Walnut body some time ago on Showcase, amazing figure, but I wish to know WHO asked for the MM + Pbass route, this just killed it to me... if was a single MM perhaps it would be mine :)

Yes, the Rosewood bass has a clear satin finish.  It really shows off the grain of the Rosewood top.  A clear gloss finish would be too "shiny" and distract from the beauty of the wood grain.

My brother-in-law has a fretless Gecko as well.  The body is made of solid Rosewood, and the neck has a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard.  He chose to use lemon oil instead of a hard finish on the body.  It's a real beauty.  I bought all the parts for his birthday 2 years ago, and we assembled it together.  I'll try to get some pictures of his bass as well.

I'm not really a big fan of P-bass pickups either.  I probably wouldn't have ordered the body this way.  I prefer "soapbar" pickups since you can find a lot more choices of pickups in the new standard shapes.  But I may as well fill this cavity with something.  :)

tubby.twins said:
My brother-in-law has a fretless Gecko as well.  The body is made of solid Rosewood, and the neck has a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard.  He chose to use lemon oil instead of a hard finish on the body.  It's a real beauty.  I bought all the parts for his birthday 2 years ago, and we assembled it together.  I'll try to get some pictures of his bass as well.

This sounds really Y-U-M-M-Y ! ! ! ! ! ! :D

How heavy is the RW topped one?  Balance well?  I ask because I've been using an Ibanez GWB1005 which I have to say is one of the most ergonomic basses I've played...but I'd love to get something of my own, with maybe a bit more personality.

All absolutely stunning.  The RW one looks a lot like my latest fretted Jazz...RW top, walnut back, wenge/RW neck.  She's a rock solid beast though and needs a pretty stout strap.

neuftone said:
How heavy is the RW topped one?  Balance well?  I ask because I've been using an Ibanez GWB1005 which I have to say is one of the most ergonomic basses I've played...but I'd love to get something of my own, with maybe a bit more personality.

It's moderately heavy - 10 pounds and 14 ounces.  But it balances fairly well.

On the other hand, I just weighed the Purpleheart bass, and it measured 12 pounds and 12 ounces.  :)

I'm reviving this zombie thread to ask simple question:

tubby.twins said:
IMG_0479.JPG

Mahogany + Indian rosewood, Indian rosewood +Wenge, Ebony, Lane Poor

How do you like indian rosewood neck shaft? I bet you can compare it to "traditional" wenge or maple one. I see there are still few IR neck on showcase, either with "standard" ebony or more extraordinary ziricote fretboard.

Back