A Fourth wound string set?

JamesL

I know I've read something somewhere about this on this board But I can't find the thread, Does anyone know of a String set that has a fourth wound string??

Doesn't D'darrio have one?

What exactly is it?

Thanks guys! :rock-on:

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but you're talking 6-string guitar, right? I've never seen a set that DIDN'T have a wound 4th string.

JamesL said:
I know I've read something somewhere about this on this board But I can't find the thread, Does anyone know of a String set that has a fourth wound string??

Doesn't D'darrio have one?

What exactly is it?

Thanks guys! :rock-on:

DBW had some listed in the gear for sale section...  D'Addario EXL110W which he says have a wound 3rd string....

Ahh, Sorry for the confusion, I meant more along the lines of "Four wound strings". And yea, Thanks a million, that's where I had seen it.  :rock-on:

I play D'Addario EXL-110's (Regular Light Gauge) and the G string is unwound. I switched from 11's specifically for that reason as the 11's do have a wound G string. I believe D'Addario makes a light top / heavy bottom with a 10 on the high E and a wound G. Good Luck.

EXL110W, EXL115W:
http://www.daddario.com/DADProducts.aspx?ID=1&CLASS=AABA

You can get wound singles from Ernie Ball and others down to .018", Musician's Friend has them... generally, you sub heavier going to wound - a wound .018" for a plain .016", a wound .019" or .020" for a .017" plain etc. The wounds aren't as loud, bang for bang. They do tend to hang up in the nut, until you've fixed it. I always keep at least one guitar with a wound third around, for those times when I really, really want to stay in tune.

Back