A few things

Tweed

I'm starting to think that I might order an ash body and play it raw. I know it's not recommended for necks, but what would be the danger to the body? Just dirt?
I saw this for the first time just a few minutes ago: SG: optional 1 1/2" thick body - $35            Is this the depth Gibson usually uses? I much prefer that!
Are the tuner holes in the Warmoth headstock setup for straight string pull? If not, I'd put a Gibson head on that future SG proj.
The tune o matic isn't spaced the same as standard Fender hardware, is it?
Where can I get a 4 way Tele switch for series and parallel in-betweens?

I'm starting to think that I might order an ash body and play it raw. I know it's not recommended for necks, but what would be the danger to the body? Just dirt?

You'd be amazed at the dirt/grime/cocktails/mud/blood/beer a completely unfinished raw Ash body can pick up. If you don't want to put any real finish on,  just apply several coats of Watco Danish Oil (don't use anything but Watco, trust me...) and reapply occasionally as necessary as the wood dries back out, this will keep it looking clean.

I saw this for the first time just a few minutes ago: SG: optional 1 1/2" thick body - $35            Is this the depth Gibson usually uses? I much prefer that!

Thinner than normal

Are the tuner holes in the Warmoth headstock setup for straight string pull? If not, I'd put a Gibson head on that future SG proj.
The tune o matic isn't spaced the same as standard Fender hardware, is it?

You can put any peghead you want, but an SG will look silly without an LP flavor. Tune-o-matic bridge location is predrilled to correct spacing for regular Fender 25.5" scale necks; you need to buy a Warmoth conversion neck if you want to implement a Gibson 24.75" scale on the guitar, the neck takes care of the scale length conversion; bridge remains in same location.

More specific help than I expected! Your Watco suggestion sounds best.

But about the tuno spacing: I meant the string spacing, as in bridge saddles as compared in Fender and Tuno. F-spacing

I got, back in 1978 or so, a Telecaster Deluxe, that was repainted by brush!  It was black, over red candy, over sunburst.

We know the factory would sometimes take screwed up bursts and paint custom color orders over them.  So somebody did black over factory - with some sort of enamel.

The whole finish came off.  Bare wood.

Being young, stupid and basically broke all the time... I did what I could, and refinished the guitar in Kiwi Brown shoepolish.  Played it for a while, then sold it for more than I paid for it.... a good deal more.  People dug the natural finish.  Shoe polish.... who'da figured.

Tweed said:
Where can I get a 4 way Tele switch for series and parallel in-betweens?
Maybe the second will do the job: http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_fenderswitches.htm

Painted with a brush?? Haha, what in the hell CB, where did you get that?

Local music store... came with a case and a Traynor 2x15 bass cabinet (loaded) for $150

You forget we're old farts and have seen everything...

Back in the early-mid seventies '60s Strat were a commodity item  in pawn shops; in '72 I picked up a '66 Strat in a very bad part of Dallas at a pawn shop that had a three tone sunburst finish that today would be called "reliced", but at that time someone had very poorly spray painted red metalflake for $125.

Back