A dog with perfect pitch

hannaugh

Master Member
All I can say is "What???!!" 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B24fxpwtEIE

"In a park people come across a man playing chess against a dog. They are astonished and say: "What a clever dog!" But the man protests: "No, no, he isn't that clever. I'm leading by three games to one!" - G.Kasparov

Hannaugh, check your Facebook if you haven't already  :icon_biggrin:  My dog loved the video clip.

There once was a horse that could count and do some basic math.  Upon investigation, it was revealed the horse was reading subtle cues from the owner.  I'm am by nature a skeptic, so it is entirely possible that this dog is doing what it appears to be doing.  It is also possible this smart puppy dog is doing a trick.  The same way a dog can be trained to respond to commands, the owner could have trained the dog to touch a certain key when hearing a certain sound, which we as the observer identify as the same sound.  But, there is a case of a dog recognizing 250 commands and retrieving unfamiliar inanimate objects by only seeing a picture of a similar inanimate object, which is higher level abstract thinking toddlers only begin to develope.  Also, dogs do recognize human faces aren't symeytical, and most peoples' emotions are lead with one side of their face, which dogs do focus on more.  They also look at where one is pointing, instead of st your finger.  That is something in them; they are not taught that. 

I was thinking the same thing, but even if it was totally faked and the owner trained the dog to hit the right keys, that's still a pretty impressive trick.  I mean, how many keys are there in the video?  Quite a few.  It would take a lot of training and a very smart and cooperative dog to pull it off. 

It could easily be fake, but I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if A) this video is 100% legit, and B) tons of dogs have the ability to differentiate pitch like that and we just don't realize it because... why would we ask them?  Dogs and cats can do a lot of stuff way better than we can.  Obviously their sense of smell is like a billion times better than ours, and they can hear much better and pick up a wider array of pitches.  Maybe their brains are also better at identifying them for some reason?  :dontknow:

My mom has a friend that has epilepsy, and one of her dogs can tell when she is going to have a seizure.  She takes the dog everywhere with her because she'll have a few minutes to take her medication and prepare before the seizure starts.  That's pretty weird to us, but then again, a lot of stuff that we do is probably completely mystifying to a dog. 

hannaugh said:
... a lot of stuff that we do is probably completely mystifying to a dog.

If it's my dog, he's constantly mystified by the fact that we aren't currently 1) throwing the ball, 2) taking him for a walk, 3) scratching behind his ears or 4) (and most importantly) feeding him.

:icon_biggrin:

Back